Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs vs Residential  (Read 8165 times)

gavinsmith1

• Joined Jan 2015
Pigs vs Residential
« on: January 26, 2015, 07:46:58 pm »
During a recent quest to find redundant land, a farmer advised me that pigs must be kept at least 200m from any residential property otherwise the smell could force locals to contact planning etc...?

1... can you keep the smell down with good welfare maintenance ?
2... regardless of smell... any truth in the 200m statement.  ?

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Pigs vs Residential
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 10:09:35 am »
1) we manage that but only because we can clean up twice a day and move their fencing around regularly - so the area they cover is about 1/4 acre for 5 pigs over 4 months in summer. The pooh bucket has to be emptied in a shady area.
But... the first two years they were in a much smaller patch elsewhere (same pooh picking routine), and once the ground where their toilet areas were became saturated with urine the smell from close by was unmistakable - and became such a pungent stench once during a heatwave that it may well have travelled 200m.

2) seems to depend on the country, a quick google brought up lots of nays from Oz & NZ but here in the UK the situation seems different. Come to think of it, the estate here is built next to the farm, as are many others, so I doubt it.
Your council will be able to advise.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 01:43:33 pm »
I've never had a problem, have kept as many as 6 over a period of 5 -6 months and could honestly only smell them if I went into the field, it helps to have a good big area for them. Mine are less than 100m from the house and my neighbours!
Anne

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 01:48:50 pm »
I don't know anything about the rules and regs but this is a diffiuclt one because I also think it depends on what you get used to. My pigs were some distance from the house and I couldn't smell anything but some townies came to visit and asked how I put up with the smell. I live in a rural location so it isn't a problem.
Do you have one or several neighbours and are you on good terms with them?
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 03:00:54 pm »
I maybe be wrong but I understood the minimum distance applies to erecting pig housing. However I wonder if that would apply to moveable arks as they are temporary structures and shouldn't need planning anyway.
And I have read several articles about people keeping pigs in a suburban garden so I guess it all depends on the neighbours. Having a friendly conversation before any pigs arrive with the added promise of free sausages would seem the best way to go about it?
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

david c

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 01:07:42 am »
I think you'd get away with it. Near me there is some scrub woodland backing onto a number of houses. The owner has had pigs in there for a few years. It stinks. I know there have been numerous complaints to the council. I've even seen council officials out looking, but the pigs are still there.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 08:49:25 am »
1. Agriculture is a permitted activity - ie you don't need planning permission for it.

2. Non-permanent structures eg pig arks don't need permission, and fences less than 6ft high also don't require planning permission

both the above can be restricted by deeds, or if you rent or lease ( keeping of animals is a common restriction)

Otherwise it's all fine.

The only issue is nuisance caused by either noise or smell. 

Noise is only an issue at feeding time, and then only for however long it takes you to get some feed down, and only an issue if you have large numbers.

Smell can be an issue if you keep larger numbers, but say 2-4 in a reasonable area should not give rise to smell.

You should not need to 'poo pick' on good ground, the worms and rain will deal with it.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS