Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Why do my girls head butt each other  (Read 17656 times)

kdmitch

• Joined May 2013
Why do my girls head butt each other
« on: January 22, 2015, 06:52:39 pm »
BIT OF BACKGROUND
I have 4 sheep who are almost two years old. They have lots of room, so are not on top of each other. They have not been put to tup, and I keep them just as pets and to have their fleeces for spinning. Blackjack is amazingly friendly with me, Floss is friendly but not overly so (she was very small and sickly as a baby, has only recently caught up with the growth of the others). Lola is happy to be petted, but gets a little skittish and Misty is very timid, and only comes for cheek rubs when I am on the opposite side of the fence. They were all orphaned and bottle fed.
They play with each other and do butt occasionally, or when they are running to get to me. They play with my dog, and butted him once.

THE PROBLEM
Today the butting looked sinister, and was between Floss and Blackjack. Floss had blood on her head. Her head was not cut, and I could not find any wounds on Blackjack. It was mostly started by the Floss, and she kept backing up and running at Blackjack, and backing her into the corner of their penned area. They only stopped when I went into the field with them, and almost got between them. When I watched from the window lola was helping Floss to ram Blackjack. Misty went off to another part of the field for the whole time. I'm concerned that Blackjack is not safe - should I separate them, or is this normal?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 02:38:19 pm by kdmitch »

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Why do my girls head butt each other
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 07:26:35 pm »
I would let them sort themselves out. If you separate them would you be keeping them apart for ever?
They're probably just sorting out the pecking order, so Blackjack will either win ( which sounds unlikely!) or admit her defeat and keep out of the way like Misty till the other 2 settle down again.
Being all female, it's possible that one or other of them is on heat.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 07:53:46 pm »
I see mine doing it periodically. Someone walks away in the end.

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 08:50:02 pm »
I LOVE THIS SITE........

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 09:00:56 pm »
Hi Kdmitch! Sounds as if your situation is almost the same as mine! I've got 4 pet sheep that were bottle fed or orphans and I use their wool for spinning!  They are 5 years old this march and have always lived together. They go through periods of butting each other and in fact I put a post on the forum a couple of months ago because I was worried about them. It does seem to happen particularly around Autumn time when they could be in season, but I've found it usually sorts itself out within a few days. Different ones will be butting each other, but then just seem to stop. It can be quite violent to watch, particularly when they take a run up to each other. I hope yours sort themselves out without hurting each other. I also find they butt each other after shearing when they don't recognise each other - but again that soon stops! 
4 pet sheep

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 11:24:37 pm »
Hormones!  It won't help that your ewes are unbred.  However, just let them sort themselves out - sheep have very solid skulls.  The only time I would worry about major fights between ewes would be if one was in lamb.  Ours respond to a loud clap, and a good ticking off  ::)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 09:10:24 am »
Our Soay do this periodically too .... ewes and wethers.  I do wonder how they don't get hurt but the most it has come to is a 'limp' for a day or so and the odd spot of blood. Just sorting the pecking order I guess.  ::) ;D

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 01:23:54 pm »
I have four Jacobs and have just noticed them doing this occasionally although no wounds spotted. I put it down to pregnancy hormones - they can be a right pain! My first time tupping so it's new to be. They seem to have stopped now though.
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

Katrina

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Cornwall
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 02:09:49 pm »
My girls do the same.  I had a period of one sheep wouldn't leave alone another, but when that sheep was left behind in another field, it was the bossy sheep who rushed back and led her back to the flock  - and then promptly went back to pushing her around  :)

kdmitch

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 02:42:48 pm »
Thank you all for your help. I'm pleased to say they did stop and have now been grazing together happily, and Misty has joined them again. One "big" happy family again
Moprabbit I'm so glad I am not the only one who has sheep as pets, most people I know think I am mad, and ask when I am going to eat them.
Next time I will love them to sort it out.

Maureen

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 03:31:06 pm »
I have 11 pet sheep and don't even use their fleeces - that makes me a bit madder than you :thumbsup:

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 11:34:17 am »
Hi Maureen! It's good to know there are some people madder than me out there! Most people I know can't get their heads round 'pet' sheep! Let's keep it up!!!!
4 pet sheep

Blackbird

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 01:44:47 pm »
Seven pet sheep for me - I only use the fleece from 4 and keep an elderly toothless ewe going with hard feed with no return except I quite like the grumpy ol thing  :) My sheep farmer neighbours think I'm bonkers. My ewes get frisky in Autumn and head butt each other and my three wethers, who at twice their size just look baffled. I do sometimes wonder why I do it, then see them bucking and doing the four-legged pogo when they see me coming with some hay - or they just come up for a head scratch and it is so worth it!
Where are we going - and why am I in this handcart?

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 03:09:48 pm »
Hi Maureen! It's good to know there are some people madder than me out there! Most people I know can't get their heads round 'pet' sheep! Let's keep it up!!!!

Sheep make the best pets in the world!

the two Bs

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 06:04:02 pm »
Hi I have 3 little darlings (ewes) the same age as kdmitch's. 2 orphans from birth and the 3rd last year. There was a fair bit of head butting and some ganging up  (the littlest changing sides unashamedly, depending on who was winning) when the third arrived and even some abdomen bashing which was a bit more scary , but now they are happy harmonious little souls! Pecking order...

Pet sheep are wonderful - lovely to hear from others! :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS