Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What's with hundreds of views and no replies?  (Read 8493 times)

sammy

• Joined Mar 2009
What's with hundreds of views and no replies?
« on: January 20, 2015, 05:20:23 pm »
I find it odd that hundreds of people will view an advert and not a single one will message the advertiser??

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
Re: What's with hundreds of views and no replies?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 05:59:09 pm »
At a guess its because whats being sold isn't what they are looking for or the price or location is wrong?

paddy1200

• Joined Dec 2013
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 05:59:29 pm »
Maybe there not interested once they have read it

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 06:31:34 pm »
It may also be down to location too Sam.
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 07:29:21 pm »
If folk make the title of a "for sale" or "wanted" advert informative i.e. saying "For sale" or "Wanted", what the item is and where it is, it certainly helps readers.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 07:43:20 pm »
Plus the views count doesn't count each person only once so if someone for any reason opens the advert multiple times it counts multiple times, it also counts any views from the original poster.

100's of views in the marketplace isn't uncommon, I certainly look at nearly every advert and have purchased exactly 2 things from there ever :-)

Highlandrose

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 09:03:47 pm »
It can be hard to list enough information in a title to avoid people from looking at an ad (put 'Highlands' and it can be near by or quite a ways away). I have often looked at an ad to discover it was not what I was after.

Ads on the forum are useful for market research (when selling our pigs we used the forum to see what price others were charging). I have an interest in getting goats or sheep so tend to look at every advert relating to either to see what the lay of the land is in terms of breeds, pricing, etc. Put the term 'Shetland cow' in your title and we'll be looking to see who you are, where you are based and what you are selling because it is what we have and we have an interest in the breed. Otherwise termed as curiosity.

It is encourgeing to find any by people in our area and that others are doing similar things. You often never know if an ad will provide the 'golden opportunity' unless you look at it more closely.

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 09:10:47 pm »
I understand where you are coming from but what gets me is when you reply that you are interested and the seller does not respond.

artscott

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Methlick, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 09:27:45 pm »
I love the fact your posting has already got so many replies!
 I nearly always look at marketplace first, I think it’s because I'm nosey and don’t want to miss something interesting, even when It's obviously too far away.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 08:37:00 am »
Definitely for me location is normally wrong and sometimes the title sounds of interest but actual ad is not what I'm looking for. Sometimes I just look if I am selling similar and get an idea of pricing.

It is annoying if someone asks for photos or says interested but doesn't come back even to say no longer interested.

Dan

• Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 09:14:59 am »
Everything that has been said already, plus not all views will be registered forum members or real people.

There are lots of automated views from Google and other search engines, and we get a lot of guests - people just browsing - and prospective spammers.

Also many potential buyers will send a PM rather than reply on the forum, so just because there are no replies visible doesn't mean there hasn't been interest.

I have a long-standing to-do to replace the marketplace with a 'proper' classified ad system, it's still on the cards...

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 10:14:46 am »

I'm just nosy and having a tea break at work.

I have no intention of buying a house cow whatsoever, at any price, or in any location but I still looked at the ad!

(Sorry).
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 10:35:19 am »
I have Jerseys, love Jerseys, of course I am going to look at an ad about a Jersey.  Or Shetland or Manx sheep, amongst many others, etc etc.  I've no intention of buying, It's just interest.

Marketing is all about reaching an audience, so you should be pleased you are getting so many views!  And sometimes one of those idle views may turn into a sale, or, more often, the reader knows someone and passes the info on...

Sorry to hear you are having to let your girl go - fingers crossed you find a nice loving home for her.  It may help to mention whether you've been hand-milking her, show a pic of her and her calf, etc.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2015, 11:24:04 am »
Yeah we all just all very nosy people really and want to look at what other people have on offer :).  Same thing happens on preloved or farmingads etc, people like to browse :).

To increase the chance of selling success then your advert really needs to "sell" the item in question. I can't believe how many people don't bother to put up photos, a guide price or even state a location.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2015, 02:38:32 pm »

I'm just nosy and having a tea break at work.

I have no intention of buying a house cow whatsoever, at any price, or in any location but I still looked at the ad!

(Sorry).

Me too!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS