Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Jeyes fluid - spraying inside the polytunnel.  (Read 6442 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Jeyes fluid - spraying inside the polytunnel.
« on: January 17, 2015, 06:11:17 pm »
I have some Jeyes fluid that somebody suggested I should spray the inside of the polytunnel with to keep pests down. It's a standard 300ml tin of the stuff but all the instructions seem to be for outdoor use

I have a few questions:

Should I be spraying the inside of my polytunnel with it?

If yes - what strength should I use and is it OK to use it now?

I haven't got anything planted in there at the moment.

Thanks
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
Re: Jeyes fluid - spraying inside the polytunnel.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 09:56:20 pm »
My neighbours spray the I side of their largish greenhouse, but I don't know what concentration they use.

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 10:19:03 pm »
my initial worry would be mist from spraying Jayes  :tired: even wearing a mask but then again I try to avoid chemicals wherever I can due to allergy problems.
I tend to use Eco wasing up liquid to wash the poly and since it is also recommended for aphid on plants hopefully it should help with pest control  :thinking:

could Jeyes be taken up by the plants if it gets in the soil? 

Sorry, not much help if you have Jeyes and no idea what dilution.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 06:59:53 am »
I do wash down the insides of my greenhouse with jeyes until everything is dripping with the stuff.. a winter job when it;s going to have a few months to break down and then rinse in similar style. Fr simplicity I use a pressure sprayer and a good mask (one of those with proper chemical filters so I can smell nowt while doing it)
I couldn't remember the instructions off hand but jeyes facebook page suggests 35ml in 5L for glasshouses. I rinse all the pots too.
I have no idea whether jeyes would affect polytunnel plastic

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 09:26:14 am »
If you have cats avoid Jeyes - anything cloudy in water in usually toxic (specifically phenols but what it looks like in water is a pretty good test if its safe -its clear, if its not, its cloudy - not foolproof though!) and Jeyes is one of the worst

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 08:24:14 am »
I wouldn't use Jeyes for anything!

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 12:48:17 am »
pgkevet
I use it in the same concentration , use the weedkiller sprayer to apply it once the glasshouse is emptied .
Half an hour  later I power wash the glasshouse out using a half power setting . Then aqua vac the floor dry , leave it to dry for 24 hrs with the vents /door open

Then use a car screen cleaner wash  in the washed out sprayer to re spray the glass for a full clean inside & out . Working it in with a soft mop and power wash it off , again  aqua vacuuming  the internal floor clean/dry . It certainly helps kill off white fly and red spider mite as well as any slugs that may make it inside. 

I use a half strength Jeyes solution with a 1/2 cap full of household bleach & a dash of the good old green fairy liquid in ten gallons of warm water to sterilize all my pots  and any other containers / tubs . The bleach helps break down the water & grime's surface tension so it comes clean easier .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Shropshirelass

• Joined Jul 2012
  • South Shropshire
  • A country lass who loves it all!
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2015, 08:01:07 pm »
If any cats are in the vicinity avoid it at all costs as it's known to kill cats x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS