Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chapped Lips  (Read 5265 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Chapped Lips
« on: January 17, 2015, 06:00:04 pm »

My lips always get dry and chapped at this time of year, and it can't be just me! Have any of you found a miracle preventative or treatment yet?  ;D
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
Re: Chapped Lips
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 06:05:39 pm »
A few years ago my lips were falling apart with the weather beating. A pharmacist advised 'Carmex' it is a little jar of balm and works a treat for me. It is expensive compared to others but I'll pay the extra to keep my lips in one piece  :-*

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 06:15:02 pm »
It's the wind rather than the cold that dries them out (I live on a hilltop and speak from bitter experience).  I keep a lip salve (whatever's cheapest) in the car, the kitchen drawer, the downstairs loo ... and have got into the habit of applying salve several times through the day.  It works!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 08:26:00 pm »
So far I'm not too badly off this year, and the only reason I can think is that I mostly keep my muffler up over my chin and mouth when there's a raw chill and/or wind. 

Always found Blistex / Blisteze made things worse... might get some of that Carmex in stock, just in case, MS. ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 08:51:18 pm »
Drink more water/squash less tea/coffee

HappyHippy

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 09:15:54 pm »
Common, over the counter chap sticks tend to contain petroleum by-products which actually dry your lips out more, you have to keep reapplying and at the end of the day they don't really help.
If you can get hold of a natural balm containing beeswax it'll make a big difference. I make lip balms for myself and the kids using beeswax, lard and olive oil - I use lemon or violet flavour oils (to make them taste nice) and the resulting balm is great, really helps protect lips and if they do get chapped it heals them quick.
If you feel adventurous have a google for recipes, it's really easy to make your own.  :thumbsup:

MarvinH

• Joined Oct 2011
  • England
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 09:22:31 pm »
udder cream
Sheep

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 10:23:07 pm »
Good suggestions folks. I'll see if I can get hold of some bee balm and Carmex. I'm afraid I prefer strawberries udder my cream though JS!  ;)

claire

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Falkirk
    • Clairesgarden
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 07:24:33 am »
I use chapstix all day and at night two or three times i'll put on blistex.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 09:29:27 am »
I make lip balm with beeswax, shea butter, cocoa butter, sweet almond oil... its been a life saver for our lips!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Baois Glas

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Ireland
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2015, 09:42:36 am »
I currently use Vaseline with Aloe Vera in it, I have to apply it constantly throughout the day, but it does work well and no chapped lips.
I think I am going to have to get myself some beeswax stuff though as I've had a lot of people recommend it.
How many acres how much light
Tucked in the woods and out of sight
Talk to the neighbours and tip my cap
On a little road barely on the map

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2015, 10:57:24 am »
Too much kissing! Cut it out Womble  ;D

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2015, 01:31:37 pm »
Awww, but the Z's are going to be SO disappointed Rosemary!  :roflanim:

The Manxes aren't so bothered though. "Did somebody mention kisses?!?  I'm outta here!!"

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2015, 05:24:33 pm »
What's with the sheep with the raddle on her nose? Weird happenings at yours?

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2015, 07:03:18 pm »
Oh, that's Bespoke. She claimed she had no idea how that got there  :innocent: .

Unfortunately our cat Bert knocked my tub of pre-mixed raddle paste on the floor and then ate most of it. He claimed to know nothing about that too, but he was sh*tting bright yellow for about a week!  :roflanim:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 06:21:57 pm by Womble »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS