Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goose advice please  (Read 8069 times)

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
Re: Goose advice please
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2015, 05:42:48 pm »
the one in front  be a gander by the look of him. which one is being bullied? does it act like a goose or a gander with you?

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 10:46:23 pm »
Aha - so all buff backs are buff backed? I'd assumed they were autosexing like my woe. So the white gander isn't a buff back at all? Where did you get them?

Yup all buff backs are buff backs, they are not autosexing! The white gander would be a different breed!

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2015, 08:14:15 pm »
Oooh nooooooooo, have I been fleeced! Wobble or bloomer didn't you get geese at the same time from the same guy?
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2015, 08:20:42 pm »
Does anyone have shetland geese? Have I got Shetlands or buff backs or a shetland boy and a buff back boy.
Totally confused?
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2015, 08:47:59 pm »
Ok, click on the photo, the middle bird has a different tail, I bet this is the girl and the other two are boys

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2015, 10:42:30 pm »
See, your instincts were right - they came out in your very first post! So off to find another goose or two.....or get back to that breeder!

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2015, 02:25:15 pm »
O m g

What I thought was a boy is in a run with chickens and I have just found an goose egg which would suggest its a girl after all

:thumbsup:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2015, 02:55:01 pm »
Oooh nooooooooo, have I been fleeced! Wobble or bloomer didn't you get geese at the same time from the same guy?

Sorry, just seen this (and I take it you were after me?  ;) ).  Our geese are just common as muck commercial white geese. I can't even say they're Embdens for sure, though they pretty much meet the description.

I'd LIKE to get some different geese, possibly a rare breed something or other, I just haven't got around to it yet. Also our current geese lay so prolifically and over such a long season, I'm loathe to get rid of them in favour of something inferior!

"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

adamhfc

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2015, 03:45:13 pm »
Only way to be suree is to vent sex them not to hard to do

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2015, 11:11:38 pm »
Which one had you separated out? I'd have thought eggs were a pretty good way to sex for sure! No need to upend her....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS