Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Winter crops for Polytunnel  (Read 2724 times)

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
Winter crops for Polytunnel
« on: January 05, 2015, 08:56:47 pm »
Today I picked some Sungold toms - not very sweet, so the chucks had a treat which seemed to be much prized.

The carrots and parsnips have been eaten by Brer Rabbit or possibly Badger - a bit of a disappointment as the carrots were very sweet and we hadn't got to try the parsnips yet.

I have a cauliflower from last year (!) that seems reluctant to stop producing small heads, and my brussel  plant is  offering the smallest, sweetest sprouts.

What else could I grow over winter here (NE Scotland, 250m up in the hills)?

Sue

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
Re: Winter crops for Polytunnel
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 09:40:10 pm »
winter salads, sow broad beans for early cropping in the new year, radishes, any winter brassicas.
You could also try tatties for Christmas.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 10:01:40 am »
Kale, kale and more kale! Also PSB (late) for cropping in April. Leeks. all of these are for outdoors though...

In p/tunnel you could try winter salads, I find the mice/rats will have most of mine and we do get harsh frosts. My chard usually crops until January.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 11:37:17 pm »
If we're going to have winters this mild and wet I should try for rice :roflanim:

Factotum

• Joined Jun 2012
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 05:12:53 pm »
Sorry for not replying before...

PT cover has been savaged by the gales and has great holes in the ends and the poultry are using it as a day shelter.

Methinks we'll need to replace the cover before the Spring.

I don't grow much outside up here as it's quite windy even in the summer - except when 'm pulling the ragwort in the fields, when it often goes very still and the midges descend!

Have to get more/better organised.

Many thanks for the replies.

Sue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS