Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Increasing feed near end of pregnancy  (Read 3231 times)

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
Increasing feed near end of pregnancy
« on: January 01, 2015, 12:28:48 pm »
Does anyone do this or not?  On most information I have found out about goats, they say to double the amount of feed for nannys 6 weeks before they kid.  I did this last year, and the kids were huge, and there were a few trips to the vets.  The vet told me that the nannys had been overfed in the last few weeks, causing the kids to grow very quickly.  They are having 4oz per day at the moment, so should I increase the feed to 8oz soon or not?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Increasing feed near end of pregnancy
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 01:02:41 pm »
I don't think in oz, despite living in the UK for over 20 years... I take my goats up from a very meagre ration of juts a handful of shreds with a dusting of oats to a full milkers ration (measured in scoops rather than by weight) over a 6 week period before kidding (so a bit every few days, slowly) . BUT they are on the full ration just in the last week before kidding and I find that often I have to split it into 4 or 5 meals per day as they don't each huge portions anymore.

Never had any problem with huge kids using that system...

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 07:26:57 am »
Thanks for your help, I'll try that method.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 09:20:59 pm »
Can I ask how much is a milkers ration? I am giving mine now in last week of pregnancy 2-3 beakers full of nuts plus some sugar beet and sprinkling of oats split into two feeds. Up to now they get about 1 beamer a day but as they eat together some may get more than others.

They look well but I do have a Togg who is not due until end Feb but never keeps condition on and I wonder if I'm not feeding her enough?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 09:33:59 pm »
Can I ask how much is a milkers ration? I am giving mine now in last week of pregnancy 2-3 beakers full of nuts plus some sugar beet and sprinkling of oats split into two feeds. Up to now they get about 1 beamer a day but as they eat together some may get more than others.

They look well but I do have a Togg who is not due until end Feb but never keeps condition on and I wonder if I'm not feeding her enough?

I have stopped trying to weigh my feed, just not enough time... I use one of these 500g or thereabouts scoops http://www.ascott-dairy.co.uk/plastic-feed-scoop/  and slowly increase from 1/4 scoop soaked shreds with a dusting of oats 3 x per day to 1 scoop each of soaked shreds, calf mix and oats 3 x day for the last week. BT's get a wee bit more, GG's can get quite picky towards the end. I often end up giving a little less per feed and then give a couple of small in-between meal snacks - fruit, veg, readigrass and oat cakes.

But from about 6 weeks before I feed all mine individually as well, just so that I can monitor how they are eating.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 12:01:46 am »
I measure with a washed-out baked bean can. I don't give them as much as the manufacturers say they need as they just don't eat it.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 09:26:28 pm »
Mine are a greedy lot. Being fed individually now as penned ready for kidding but never leave a morsel. I watched in horror the other night as my Boer x clambered over her gate to see if she could get an extra feed. How she got that big belly over I will never know!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 09:54:50 pm »
Mine are a greedy lot. Being fed individually now as penned ready for kidding but never leave a morsel. I watched in horror the other night as my Boer x clambered over her gate to see if she could get an extra feed. How she got that big belly over I will never know!
##

If they DON'T eat - then you worry! I am fairly quick with drenching with Cetophyton, or you could also have the sheep equivalent ready. So far it has worked...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS