Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Gunky eyes  (Read 3409 times)

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
Gunky eyes
« on: December 27, 2014, 08:55:45 pm »
Hi everyone.

My goat has had yellow discharge coming from her eyes for a while now and I have been washing them out twice a day. It hasn't got any better, or worse..... I don't believe its pinkeye as it has been going on for a while and having seen pinkeye in sheep it looks nowhere near as bad, but they do look sore and uncomfortable. Is this a job for the vet? Or does anyone have any other suggestions please? I would like to avoid a vet call out charge if possible but could ring them and ask for some medication if anyone has any recommendations?

Many thanks and seasons greetings  :wave:

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Re: Gunky eyes
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 09:04:47 pm »
Speak to vet and get some antibiotic ointment. That should clear it up  :fc:

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 09:24:24 pm »
Yes, good plan.... have been trying to avoid antibiotics, hoped I could sort it out myself but this has been going on too long. I feel guilty now  :dunce:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 11:13:03 am »
Orbenin eye ointment will help clearing it up. (you will need another person to hold the goat and then carefully squirt some stuff into the lower eyelid as you remove it from the eyeball. She will then blink and move the cream over her eyes properly. Difficult to explain and goat will not like it. Treat both eyes.

Could simply be dusty hay or just generally more dust if they spend a lot of time inside at the moment.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 01:32:14 am »
is it in both eyes?
orbenin is great stuff, saved one of mine from pinkeye! Would recommmend if you can to get 2 tubes of ointment and mark them left and right if its both eyes or you could end up going in circles if its an infection.
Have they had a batch of dusty hay? Sounds daft but hay dust can play havoc with the eyes, mine included as we store some of our hay up in the rafters and I get a facefull every time I take some down for the girls
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

mariegold

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 02:23:08 pm »
I went to the farm shop but they didn't have the orbenin. Would you normally get it fro the vets?

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 02:31:26 pm »
Yes

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 03:55:03 pm »
I went to the farm shop but they didn't have the orbenin. Would you normally get it fro the vets?

It contains an antibiotic, so needs a vet prescription.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS