Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stargazing  (Read 27403 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Stargazing
« Reply #90 on: September 06, 2015, 01:28:28 am »
On the few recent nights that we've not been obscured by cloud, I've started getting to grips with the summer skies.
First off, Cassiopeia is in totally the wrong place, as is the Plough.  Orion has fallen over the edge to spend our summer upside down in the Southern Hemisphere, and the easy to see planets seem to have followed him.

So what I can see now is the summer triangle, which is due south once it's got dark, and quite big.  The brightest star is Vega to the right, part of the little constellation of Lyra.  Bottom is Altair in a small constellation I can't really make out, but my favourite is top left, Deneb.  Deneb is the tail of the beautiful swan, Cygnus, with her wings spread wide as she flies through the night.

Tonight I identified the Square of Pegasus (which at this latitude is more of a diamond) in the eastern sky.  My destination is a bit further to the left where one day I will find the Andromeda galaxy, our nearest neighbour.

Tonight was the first time Mr F stayed outside long enough to get his full night vision and see the glorious Milky Way.  It's so clear and bright, and he was as amazed as I am at how beautiful and awesome it is.

Modified to add:  When I went out at 2am I discovered that Orion is back, just emerging above the NE horizon and he may be visible higher in the morning sky at 5.  I'm not up at that time but I know some of you are.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 12:53:03 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #91 on: September 11, 2015, 12:57:08 am »
Tonight I have found the Andromeda galaxy  :yippee:  I can only see it if I look slightly to the side.  Must get the binoculars out, then later the telescope.  I seem to be learning my way around the summer skies now, just in time for it all to change as we head back towards winter.

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #92 on: September 11, 2015, 11:05:02 am »
The last few nights have been beautifully clear here, the stars and the milky way resplendent. I spent a little time around 2300 observing by naked eye, a bit too tired after doing a lot of outside work to drag the 'scope out sadly.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #93 on: September 12, 2015, 06:23:48 pm »
Telescopes used to be so small and easy - stuff one in your back pocket so it was ever ready (well, that's what it shows on Master and Commander  :eyelashes:).  Now you have to humph a huge awkward thing outside (I can't lift mine), set it up and locate some stars so it knows where it is, all before you can look at what you want to see. Living in the middle of a building site doesn't help either - unexpected trenches appear, piles of stuff are left about, and putting on a torch loses you your night vision. Binoculars are more convenient, but my hands shake a bit (no, not from alcohol), so every star zips about like a mad fly.  Wouldn't an observatory be nice  :roflanim:  Of course when you spot a beautiful object up there, all is worthwhile.
Once I've seen Andromeda through the telescope, I'll be looking for the double cluster, which is just along a bit.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #94 on: September 26, 2015, 10:39:34 pm »
It's very clear here tonight, with lots to see.

Hopefully it will also be clear skies in the very early hours of Monday morning, as it's the lunar eclipse.  As I won't be around for the next one in 2033, I think I'll stay up, as long as we have clear skies.  :excited:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS