Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stargazing  (Read 27402 times)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Re: Stargazing
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2015, 04:57:34 pm »
Wow lots of us stargazers then! I've given up on my cheap telescope and had some decent binoculars last Christmas. Love them. I confess to having lots of apps to help... I especially love the one that tells you when the space station is coming over and where it is, and also an auroras forecast - yet to see one as I go to bed early! I have the sky at night year guide as an annual Christmas present , as did my mum her whol life :-)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2015, 09:33:41 am »
The moon has been bright these past few nights, so bright in fact you would think it was just a dark daytime.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2015, 11:24:56 am »
Yes the moon is amazingly bright right now.  Makes it more difficult to see the surface features though - best to do that for a part moon so the mountains are picked out by the shadows they cast.  The moon was bright enough to shine through the clouds here last night, with a big halo.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2015, 04:15:01 pm »
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-news/observing-news/spot-comet-lovejoy-tonight-122920141/

Have a look at this site, above.  It's for a comet which was discovered last Autumn, and will be visible from now right through January, comet Lovejoy.  It claims it will be visible with good eyesight once the moon isn't so bright, but should be visible with binoculars anyway, traversing in a line below Orion's feet. It is a North American website so times and positions perhaps slightly different.  Where I live there should be a couple of clear hours later tonight, but the moon is barely past full, so I don't expect to see it yet.  If you do see it, please let us know.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2015, 06:15:05 pm »
There's another free part time astronomy course running on Open2study (an Australian one).  It has just started so I joined  ;D  I've learnt something fascinating already.  In a lunar eclipse, which is visible by a whole earth hemisphere at one time, at the point when the Earth's shadow completely covers the moon, the moon glows a deep red.  This is all of the sunsets of that hemisphere shining onto the moon and reflecting back to us.  Magic  :love:

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2015, 10:39:12 am »
The new first new moon

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2015, 12:00:55 pm »
Good pic of the moon VF.  Did you take that yourself?  So far my attempts to photograph anything in the sky are wrecked by the slight tremor I have.  Same with using my new binocs - even Jupiter is waggling about.  I need to find some way of supporting the binocs and camera so they don't shake.

So, I'm now halfway through my two astronomy courses and things have definitely picked up, info-wise.  I even got 100% for the latest assessment, first time try. Where's that 'smug' icon  ::)  We've had nebulae, all different types of stars, the life of stars from birth to death, dark matter (something which had to be invented if all our other calculations are to work  :roflanim: ), black holes, giant calculations, all sorts

Last night we had the first clear night for ages and with the moon small and rising later, there was so much to see.  It was about minus 4 last night though, so I didn't stay out too long.
Jupiter is amazingly bright at the moment and with my new binocs, in spite of the tremor, I could see a couple of its moons.  I love looking at Jupiter, because it's so close to us, like a big friend.
For the first time last night I could see the rest of the dog, Canis Major, as it peeped over the horizon, trailing behind Sirius.  Haven't seen the Puppis yet, which are just next to the dog, but I am beginning to be able to navigate the stars with a planisphere. 
Still haven't set the telescope up yet.

How are you getting on, those who are taking the FL course?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 12:03:28 pm by Fleecewife »

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2015, 05:12:43 pm »
I decided to leave it as I took ages to download the sky map and still couldn't open it.  Then we had a week without visible stars, snow, rain, fog, gales but no clear sky and no desire to go out again once animals were done.

Was so far behind I gave up and left another FL course on money management too as I only just got my tax return in and couldn't face charting my nonexistent income and scary outgoings again!

So I am getting on with knitting and sanding wood craft pieces instead.  Next FL starts March so will see how I feel then.

Glad you're enjoying it.  Last night I went out for firewood and Orion was right in front of me in a clear sky! Typical!
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2015, 04:39:40 pm »
Oh that's a shame ellied.  When I can't keep up on a FL course I just come back to it later. Once you've joined you can come back to it any time you like, so they claim.  There's no point getting behind with the more important things in life though, when this is just for fun.

I couldn't upload the sky map either, and some folk apparently crashed their computers trying.  Nor have I taken a single photo of Orion, for various reasons.  Mostly, like at yours, it's been 8/8ths cloud cover every night here, but when it has been clear I suffer a mix of shakey camera and being blinded by the camera screen  ::).   I did get a pic of Jupiter though - it came out as a large black area with a tiny white spot in the middle  :roflanim:

I'm enjoying the other students' comments, at least the ones like me who suffer from brain meltdown at some of the stuff.

My Ozzy astronomy course stops at the end of the month too, then I'm doing Moons through Feb.   I really should do one of the finance courses, but they seem aimed at those still in work, and we are retired so we need slightly different advice.  I've got something else lined up for after Moons, but I'll wait until closer to the time to sign up.  It's getting close to lambing  :sheep: and seed sowing  :garden: times, so maybe I'll have a few months off from exercising my brain.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2015, 11:59:14 am »
I think I mentioned this elsewhere on TAS but can't find it now.

Friday 20th March ie this Friday, there will be an almost total eclipse of the sun  :sunshine:, peaking at 0945.  The further north you go, the more of the sun will be covered, but it isn't total until the Faroes.  In the south of England it will still be an event, and for us in southern Scotland slightly more so.  I'll certainly be watching.  Remember you need to protect your eyes when watching the eclipse, and sunglasses are not enough.

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2015, 12:38:30 pm »
I can't wait for this- I hope it's not too cloudy!
For the last eclipse in 1999 ish you could buy those card dark glasses everywhere. Anyone seen any this time around?
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2015, 05:49:55 pm »
Fleecewife comit Friday over lochness fantastic

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2015, 06:44:37 pm »
That's amazing Gary - lovely pic  :thumbsup:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2015, 10:24:15 pm »
It was the first Stargazing Live this evening - Mr F and I both slept through it :roflanim:   I did pick up though that Jupiter's four Galilean moons are all aligned in a row to one side of the planet tonight, which doesn't happen very often - time to tog up and go out with the binoculars.

We missed the apparently amazing Aurora last night because we were buried in fog  :rant:.

It looks as if the Eclipse on Friday is going to be a non-event here too - cloud and fog forecast again.  It seems it will go a bit dark, but what's new!   Still, a broad swathe of England, and bits of Scotland will be clear, just not the bit I live in  :(

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2015, 04:56:54 pm »
Some pics from the west coast teliscope smart phone
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 04:59:17 pm by Victorian Farmer »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS