Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stargazing  (Read 27404 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Stargazing
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2014, 05:39:05 pm »
I've just been looking from my front door - faces due south - at 17-1750 and can see Mars to the SW, Aldebaron to the east and the plough off to the north (that one's from the back door) 
The moon is fairly bright so can't see duller stars etc, but because it's a half moon you can see the mountains at the dark/light boundary really well through ordinary binoculars. It's amazing.
Later tonight Jupiter will appear low in the SE and track across to the SW by morning.  It's very bright too so easily spotted.  Orion will do the same.
It's so cold out there I can only stay out for a few minutes at a time, which doesn't let me get my full night vision before I have to retreat to the fire.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2014, 05:54:26 pm »
Get up early and have a wee peek at Saturn: it rises just before 6 and you should get a lovely view of the rings.

Izzy

• Joined May 2009
  • Stirlingshire
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2014, 05:56:25 pm »
Fleecewife.....about night vision........do you know why pirates are usually represented as having an eyepatch? It's not because they've lost their eyeball in a gruesome way. When at sea sailors find when they go down below decks it takes a while for their eyes to adjust to the gloom. So they keep a dark eyepatch over one perfectly functional eye while on deck. This has the effect of making the iris open to maximum on that eye while their other iris is tiny in the glare from the sun and sea. When they need to nip below deck they just flip the eye patch up as they descend the gangway and ....voila!

Maybe you could use this principle for telescope/computer?

BTW the scenario I describe applies to old cutters/man o' wars etc without portholes. Nowadays with wee plastic yachts you get those wee plastic windaes.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2014, 08:51:54 pm »
Due to a neck condition I get dizzy or even fall over so although i have always loved watching the sky I can no longer enjoy it.  I have been known to lie flat on the grass in the summer though to enjoy it once it's dark - the dogs tend to ruin it within a few moments unfortunately by rolling all over me.  I will download these apps though so thank you, susiev  :excited:

When I lived in London I once drove inot the rural dark bits near biggin hill to look at the autumn perseids. I fond a large green by the road. I drove onto it, lay down on the grass with the car door open so I could listen to the radio and satred up at the night sky.

20mins later a patrol car hurtled up with full sirens 'cos someone had reprted a drover thrown from his crashed vehicle........ :excited:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2014, 12:53:03 am »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2014, 12:10:51 pm »
Get up early and have a wee peek at Saturn: it rises just before 6 and you should get a lovely view of the rings.

We had freezing fog  :(

Sally's url shows May 23rd will be a good night to observe Saturn.  Thank you for that Sally  :thumbsup:

I have now found a FutureLearn course on the moons of our solar system, starts beginning of Feb.  My futureLearn  programme is getting a bit hectic, as on top of the Orion course (see you there too EllieD  :wave:) I'll also be doing the Coursera chicken course starting in March.  Hmm - I'll leave the moons til later, but still get the info in, if it all gets too crowded.  I think there will be a lot of new info to find a home in my brain.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2014, 12:18:04 pm »

Sally's url shows May 23rd will be a good night to observe Saturn.  Thank you for that Sally  :thumbsup:

Just thought - it's an American site, I think, so they're behind us - it may be worth always checking on the night before, as well?  :thinking:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2014, 11:05:25 pm »
Fleecewife.....about night vision........do you know why pirates are usually represented as having an eyepatch? It's not because they've lost their eyeball in a gruesome way. When at sea sailors find when they go down below decks it takes a while for their eyes to adjust to the gloom. So they keep a dark eyepatch over one perfectly functional eye while on deck. This has the effect of making the iris open to maximum on that eye while their other iris is tiny in the glare from the sun and sea. When they need to nip below deck they just flip the eye patch up as they descend the gangway and ....voila!

Maybe you could use this principle for telescope/computer?

BTW the scenario I describe applies to old cutters/man o' wars etc without portholes. Nowadays with wee plastic yachts you get those wee plastic windaes.

:roflanim:  I think you'd have to be really dedicated for that.  No, I'm spoilt by being able to see so much straight outside my door, so I nip out for a quick peek, then freeze and go back in.  When I bother to tog up I'm fine.  Brilliant idea though  :idea:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2014, 09:26:07 am »
On the other hand you could just buy a pair of night vision goggles :D
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2014, 10:04:44 am »
I'm travelling through the Milky Way at the moment:

http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/the-video-game-that-maps-the-galaxy

It's a staggering technical achievement what they've done in this 'game', this is an in-game rendering of the Great Orion nebula:

Also if you've got an iPad the app Sky Guide is awesome - point it at the night sky and it'll give you a guide to what you're seeing:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sky-guide-view-stars-night/id576588894?mt=8

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2014, 11:14:57 pm »
You don't need any i anything - my android has the sky map app and it does the same. :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2015, 11:59:51 am »
It looks as if it's going to be a really clear night tonight, in southern Scotland any way.  It's a full moon though which will make the less bright objects more difficult to see, but the obvious ones should be visible.  I'm still learning the constellations, so that suits me.

Future Learn Orion starts on Monday - is anyone else going to join in?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2015, 11:37:08 am »
So, the Orion course started today.  It's a bit simplistic so far, but I had great fun inventing a constellation and its accompanying fable.  We are encouraged to photograph Orion, but it was too cloudy last night. 

What I did see, zipping along through the gaps between the clouds, was what must surely have been the space station  :thumbsup:  Too high and fast for a plane, not following the usual airways, and way too fast for a planet.  I'm really pleased as that's the first time I've spotted it.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2015, 12:09:52 pm »
What I did see, zipping along through the gaps between the clouds, was what must surely have been the space station  :thumbsup:  Too high and fast for a plane, not following the usual airways, and way too fast for a planet.  I'm really pleased as that's the first time I've spotted it.

We see the space station here quite a bit, with our panoramic 180 horizon.  It crosses the sky more slowly than a plane, but given its height it's moving fast, yes. 

So what was your constellation called?  I'd love to read the associated fable!

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2015, 04:31:47 pm »
I started but didn't get that far yet.  Ancient laptop denied download but it maybe cos I had to declare 32 or 64 bit and I don't know!  So no map yet and I had to leave it for chook feeding.  Will try again sometime.
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS