Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A new smallholder after Christmas  (Read 3822 times)

Toots

• Joined Dec 2014
  • Flintshire, North Wales
A new smallholder after Christmas
« on: December 25, 2014, 05:44:53 am »
Hi all,

Thought I would say hello & introduce myself.

Have been reading the forum for a while but now we are finally moving into our old pub just after Christmas which has 3.5 acres (just got approval for change of use), I know I will start to ask for help. We've done some basics, like buying an old Fordson tractor, stock fencing the entire boundary and creating an enclosure for the 40 odd rare breed chickens my OH already has.

Got a CPH number ready for herd/flock registration for all the animals & when she hits 50 chickens, which will be very soon now.

I want to keep pigs, bees and maybe some goats, so if anyone can give me any pointers, please feel free to share your knowledge. If anyone has some good contacts within North Wales/Cheshire for pigs or bees please pass them on. Looking to start with two weaners to raise for meat, these two will be my leaning curve to ensure I can manage the process properly. My nature is a somewhat "right first time" approach so I tend to overthink in the planning stage. This way does have huge benefits but is frustrating for Julie (OH) as I "future proof" everything she asks me to do, so the process takes longer than she would like.

Cheers for now,

Prud & Julie

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: A new smallholder after Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 07:15:57 pm »
Hello and welcome to TAS.

Brandi

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 11:01:53 pm »
What an exciting way to start the New Year. All the best to you and yours for 2015  :wave: :wave:

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 11:36:35 pm »
Hello and welcome from Caithness. Lots of good planning advice here. :wave:
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

hafod

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 08:17:13 am »
Hi. We are on the north wales/Cheshire border too. We've bought in weaners from many places over the past few years. You could try Alison and dave at home farm in overton. Good luck and if you'd like to pop in for a coffee just get in touch !

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2014, 08:29:11 am »
 :wave: from Devon. Are you going to run the pub or just live in it as a home? Good luck with it, whichever :thumbsup: You'll find all the advice you'll need on here plus a lot of new friends (some of which you will actually meet but most you never will!)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2014, 10:45:49 am »
Hello and welcome from Carnoustie  :wave:

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2014, 11:19:39 am »
Welcome :wave: and well done for getting your fencing right first!  That makes for a good neighbour ;D

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, 11:23:33 am »
 :wave: from a very cold and frosty Perthshire.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2014, 12:14:28 pm »
How exciting  :)

Best of luck with the new venture; don't forget to post piccies for us to enjoy as you progress! 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2014, 01:42:41 pm »
Welcome  :wave: exciting times ahead enjoy !  :pig: :chook:

Toots

• Joined Dec 2014
  • Flintshire, North Wales
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2014, 05:09:17 am »
Thanks for all the replies,

Very much appreciated.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2014, 10:46:05 am »
 :wave: Hi from Bala , we have a brill bee keeper nearby and have had saddleback pigs and large black pigs nearby. Once you have decided on a breed I expect you won't struggle for nearby breeders. Deciding is the hard bit! Enjoy :-)

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2014, 09:53:59 pm »
Keep the future proof approach - and if the misses dont listen - just dont listen to her arguments. (well listen and just nod and do what you do)  Its going to be a long game, and long games take alot of time.

But then again - do listen to her - dont get anal about everything - stuff goes wrong and work with it. :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS