Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Just How Stupid Do They Think We Are?  (Read 3338 times)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Just How Stupid Do They Think We Are?
« on: December 20, 2014, 10:34:14 am »
Just read all 77 pages of the Basic Payment Scheme Guide to Cross Compliance in England 2015 (yup, I'm the one).   I see if you're in an NVZ you must not spread fertiliser or manure "if a field is waterlogged, flooded, snow-covered, or has been frozen for more than 12 hours in the previous 24 hours".  So, you look out of the window in the morning and the weather's terrible and, rather than rush to de-ice the drinkers or cart hay to the sheep and cattle, you think "Ooh, a perfect day for muckspreading!"?  Have these people ever seen a field?

I also see that English Heritage has been renamed Hositoric England - bet that kept Her Majesty's Stationery Office busy for a few weeks reprinting all the letterheading and compliments slips.

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
Re: Just How Stupid Do They Think We Are?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 01:15:11 pm »
You may mock but I have seen a field with muck spread on top of snow.  Particularly stupid as it can be obviously seen from miles away.

Izzy

• Joined May 2009
  • Stirlingshire
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 04:05:54 pm »
I have also seen muckspreaders out on top of snow. Culprit said it did less damage to the soil to drive over when it was frozen.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 07:41:58 pm »
And I have seen a slurry-spreader driving along a lane chucking slurry onto the field the other side of the hedge.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 10:50:49 am »
Blimey!  The farmers along the Marches must be more sensible than most, then!

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 10:56:17 am »
And I have seen a slurry-spreader driving along a lane chucking slurry onto the field the other side of the hedge.

That's standard practice in Wales

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 05:53:43 pm »

Yep, I've seen our next door neighbour do this as well. I think its only when he is desperate to get rid of some slurry though- ie if weather hasn't been suitable for quite a while.

Beth

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 06:02:39 pm »

Common practice here, thought it was normal!

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2014, 03:08:40 pm »

That's standard practice in Wales

Including from the road & verges of A & B class roads , sometimes going against traffic flow as well.
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2014, 03:24:22 pm »
To be honest, " a perfect day for muckspreading" is exactly what would be said in our house on a frosty morning!  Never considered spreading off the road before, though!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2014, 04:47:09 pm »

Common practice here, thought it was normal!
All the farmers around my way are quite tidy, am thankful I have good neighbours.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS