Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 1875 times)

nudibranch

• Joined Dec 2014
Hello
« on: December 18, 2014, 11:39:33 am »
Only just registered so thought I should say hello. Grew up in the mountains of Wales, now live in very rural Northumberland. Current animals include horses, poultry, waterfowl, some domestic pets (parrotlets, geckos and many fish), a dachshund and a saluki. And a very lazy cat who does nothing to the mice.

In between looking after that lot I garden - flowers and some veggies - and am slowly researching the next project which is to start a small hobby flock of white welsh mountains. Probably a daft place to do it since we are surrounded by blackies, cheviots and our neighbour is a top breeder of leicesters, but where theres a will theres a way....

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 12:43:36 pm »
Hello and welcome from  :sunshine: Carnoustie  :wave:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 12:55:06 pm »
Welcome from just over the *other* border, in Cumbria!   :wave:

It'd be interesting to see how your Welsh White Mountains cope in Northumberland.  I know of a flock of Lleyns in the southwest of your county.  I'm not familiar with the WWM, how do they differ from the Lleyn and from the Black Welsh Mountain? 

And, as a spinner, I have to ask... what are their fleeces like for spinning, do you know?   :spin:

At least with a BFL breeder next door you'll have no problems getting a tup for some Welsh Mules!  lol

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

nudibranch

• Joined Dec 2014
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 01:50:47 pm »
Sally from what I can see, the WMW have quite a lot of variability and less in the way of organised societies! Roughly there are the north and south types, south being larger but I would be most interested in the little north hill type I grew up around. I'm not sure about the wool but they make good eating. I guess theyd probably do quite well over here and throw a slightly larger lamb.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 09:04:12 pm »
 :wave: and welcome from Shropshire. I'm another spinner.  :spin:

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 07:04:28 am »
 :wave: from Devon.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 03:19:58 pm »
Hello! I'm from Northumberland, but in the Borders now.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS