Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rat control  (Read 14704 times)

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
Re: Rat control
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2014, 08:17:57 pm »
I saw a mouse/rat In my hut one night only small but I put peanut butter on the trap and caught a mouse/rat every night for a week after that haven't had them since or so I think
I put food down on a morning and make sure it's gone before it's dark or I lift it
I've never seen any in the day
follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2014, 12:21:08 am »
We purchased ten packets of Neosorexin CD  and a rat/mouse feeder box a week ago 7 emptied one packet of poison down the witness tube hole .
Slipped on on witness /filler tube and anchored the feeder down with half a dozen stacked bricks so it is tight along side the garage wall with easy rat/mouse access to the entry holes.

Now the colder weather is arriving so will the little visitors till they all eat themselves to death in about two months after teh second frost .
 Frequent checking & topping up with new dry bait is essential . Sprinkle some cocoa powder over the bait helps make it just that more rodent attractive.
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2014, 09:23:02 am »
I tuned the balance on our treadle feeder so that it would only open with the weight of the chickens and not the weight of a rat. Mind you, several rats on the treadle would open it and I have heard of someone opening one up to find a fat rat inside.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2014, 10:59:43 am »
We had a rat outside that was the size of a rabbit last year. It took months for the poison to catch on!

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2014, 09:51:38 am »
Clansman.

Should the question be "what sort of rats do you have".

A wild rat in condition could be 1.25 lb.

A rat that can just eat all the food it likes could be  1.65 to 1.85 lb.

The smallest bantams in the world weigh in at 1lb

I've been shooting rats for over 30 years and yes there are some large ones but I have yet to come across the fabled cat/chicken/rabbit sized monsters which are regularly mentioned but apparently never seem to get caught 

p.s. I breed turkeys which are taller than a man!  :innocent:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chandra_Bahadur_Dangi

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2014, 05:40:25 pm »
I stuck a hose down one of the holes yesterday and they all came running. Not very big at all really but too quick to shoot with anything other than a shotgun which is not practical next to the hen house. Half the size of the ones we used to get in the milking parlour. They seem to be digging vertical tunnels all around the chicken pen. Is it worth pouring bait down the holes and covering with a large stone? We've got plenty of flat shellet / slate I could use.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2014, 05:47:13 pm »
You can use a cut-off plastic bottle, tie the bait up, screw the lid on fixing the bait strings and shove it down either or  (1 bo ttle each) inall of the exit holes half- way.  This is to make sure no bird can get to it. The closed bait box hidden somewhere near works better though, they are not stupid....

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2014, 08:06:12 pm »
One thing I've done recently to get the rats & mice that get into the plastic bag rubbish bin locker ( ******* fortnightly collections ) is to get an empty two litre pop bottle  retain the cap and cut an inch and a half round hole in it about 3 inches up from the bottom.
 ( I happened to have a power drill hole cutter that did the job very well once I'd taped the bottle on to some timber , so I could cut the hole in safety with my hands & feet out he way .)

After cutting the hole , washing and drying the bottle to remove all traces of sugar and scents i left it in the airing cupboard for a week to get it bone dry , then put the cap back on
 About ten days ago I poured  two sachets of the Neosorexin CD in via the 1& 1/2 " hole and carefully laid the bottle on its side so that the hole is facing the right angle of the bin locker floor and back wall then popped a few bricks around it to keep it in place.
 As the bottle is transparent it's easy to see that something has a had a feed or two but does not appear to be coming back . come the middle of dec i will empty the bottle into one of this years " Dalek"  composter bin to feed any over wintering rodents in there & put new killer in the bottle before putting it back in the bin locker.

The most important thing to remember is that just because you can't see rats & mice it does not mean that there are none. When you actually see them in daylight or early dusk it a sign of a major infestation . So as a consequence  you must always use bait stations all year round and expand your cleared perimeter ,  as well as having the odd inner area bait box in critical places to pick up any that manage to enter the " cordon sanitair " .

Don't neglect the maintenance of all the bait boxes either for that's how the vermin eventually find a way back into the premises  once the contents of a box are eaten and the older vermin are dead.

New ones eventually come along from outside of the once cleared area.

Having a small accurate map indicating all the positions of bait stations show a number that is marked on the station in permanent marker is also handy for it's just so easy to forget where all the station feeders are if you have 20 or so around the place. I can also be helpful if you make a number related note of which stations you need to refill for over time you may see a pattern emerging on the map and realise where most of the rats are coming from and put a few more bait stations in that area.

Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2014, 07:51:39 pm »

Agree that I would have thought something more protein based would be more attractive, raw fish, chicken bones? Maybe?

I have a few rats in the garden, but they've dug underneath the trap I put out - this is ok, because they're visiting it every night and I will shortly change it so they can't get bait without going inside.
I also have fenn trapsm not got those out yet.

Got a big one in cage trap, used a cull chick as bait.

Stereo, maybe try rat purse nets? You can bolt them with your hose into the nets?

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2014, 07:36:50 pm »
Got another adult one in fenn trap. Not baited, just on a run.
 I took down a stone wall last year and wanted to keep the stone so piled it all up by a shed. I stacked it away from the wall 3" and built a cavity into the very back which can be accessed by lifting just a couple of flat stones. Idea was to create a rat run and trapping point.

Has anyone tried making a night vision sight for their gun?

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2014, 11:30:00 pm »
Got another adult one in fenn trap. Not baited, just on a run.
 I took down a stone wall last year and wanted to keep the stone so piled it all up by a shed. I stacked it away from the wall 3" and built a cavity into the very back which can be accessed by lifting just a couple of flat stones. Idea was to create a rat run and trapping point.

Has anyone tried making a night vision sight for their gun?

Night vision would be great. They seem to scatter in torch light, unlike a bunny who will just sit and stare. I've got a pretty good air rifle (Air Arms S200) which will humanely take down any rat but can't seem to get a shot once I turn on the torch.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2014, 03:04:25 am »
Some video cameras have night vision capability. I saw a picture of someone looking through their rifle tele-sight with one so that they could shoot at night. Actual night vision tele-sights are very expensive. I thought it was discussed on this forum about 5 years ago?

RonMinch

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2014, 07:34:12 am »
Try a red diffuser in your torch less likely to frighten the rats but unless you have a lot visiting the same food source its difficult. You need to set up and wait for them to come to you then pick them off, great sport if you like it, and you get rid of the rats.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2014, 09:43:41 am »
Some interesting vids on youtube about folk making DIY NV set ups with sony camcorders. The cheapest proper NV scope seems to be the Yukon Photon at £400!

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2014, 10:47:18 am »
Anyone use an electronic ultrasound scarer ?

I know they don't kill them but if you only have 1 or 2 might move them on.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS