Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Coccidiosis help please  (Read 2139 times)

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
Coccidiosis help please
« on: November 04, 2014, 03:40:46 pm »
I have about 30 Welsummer growers at about 10 weeks and last week they came down with what I decided was Cocci. I had some of the pigeon Cocci meds which was given with water. I have decided that all cockerels will now be  culled as I don't want to eat them. The egg withdrawl is 28 days but these pullets are many months off laying.

I finished the 7 days and they seemed to perk up very well and no losses since although a few were looking a little ropey still. Today I decided to buy a bag of Pinnacle growers as they are medicated and I thought it wise to keep the treatment going at a low level, combined with fresh clean water twice a day. Within an hour they all seem to have gone downhill again. What have I done? It says not to feed with other meds but they finished the water based meds 2 days ago and have had clean water since. I'm a bit worried I've done for them all now.

Any ideas? Never had Cocci before. I now think it came in on a bale of straw as the 2 houses I used it in have come down with it.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Coccidiosis help please
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 06:04:06 am »
You can't mix medicated feed with medication as they react with each other -hence the warning on  the label. They use two different compounds apparently. Some medication will still be in their system if the course was only finished two days ago I think. Perhaps you should leave it a month Stereo.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 08:13:57 am »
Yeah, maybe started on it too soon. They seem to have perked up though and are looking fine now.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 01:34:19 pm »
how did you diagnose it? Bloody stools? Or are there any other signs?
I'm glad they are better  :thumbsup:

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 01:46:57 am »
A mate did to be honest. He said if I could come up with a dead one he would be able to PM and be sure but I guess it was a good guess. All are still fine and fit so I'm happy. He said I may have to dose again at a lower rate if it comes back but I'm just working on fresh and clean bedding etc. so fingers crossed.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS