Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goat buying fail.  (Read 7912 times)

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Goat buying fail.
« on: November 02, 2014, 07:31:36 pm »
Went to buy three boer goats today. :excited: They weren't right so didn't come home. :'(
Two weren't pure, they weren't a year old, they were two. Which I could live with.
The pure one had blisters/scabs round its mouth and all up its nose.
One had was so lame 'because it had had its hoof clipped this morning' that it held its hoof up the whole time. On inspection, it was red hot, swollen and full of stinking pus. It also seemed thinner than the others by a good bit.
The third had no ear tags.

I really liked the man and his yard looked great, sounded so genuine. What a waste of over 550 miles driving!!!

On reflection, Wasn't happy when he said "drop the back down, I'll pop this one on first". Before I'd even looked over the stable door. I realised after that it was the lame one he had in hold of.
Angry, disappointed.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 02:48:17 pm by Steph Hen »

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Goat buying fail.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 07:38:38 pm »
Oh no. That is such a shame.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 08:05:56 pm »
Oh nooooooooo

Well done you for realising they were not for you and saying so especially after going alllllllll that way.

M
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 08:44:44 pm »
Well done for not getting them. May be worth a phone call to the local trading standards animal health - at least 2 potential offences there.  Good luck in quest to find boer goats

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 08:57:26 pm »
And you probably didn't even get as far as asking to see their CAE certificate and if possible CLA/Johne's ones....

You did the right thing - it takes some guts to say "no" if you have driven that far and the seller was probably not expecting it.

However - there are Boer breeders in Aberdeenshire - why not speak to them?

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 10:21:56 pm »
Thanks for the support. It was really hard turning them down. I've wanted goats for a decade and had them right there! My OH was/is totally supportive and keeps saying I've done the right thing. Just keep mulling it over. I wouldn't know where to start with trading standards, I feel like I don't want anything more to do with this particular experience. Also, I did quite like the man- looked up his business and has really good reviews - maybe it was just accidental oversight?

I had a go at tracking down someone to sell me some boer goats months ago and drew a blank. Will start again I guess. I know about CAE testing, and he'd told me that was all done, but now realise I have no idea what I'm actually looking for -printed certificate/vet signed paper???

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 10:31:42 pm »
I have a herd of boer goats - cae accredited with the Scottish Agricultural College - if you want some advice please contact me by pm if you want to :wave:

Alternatively the BBGS website has a map showing members details and location.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 12:06:50 am »
That is such a shame, Steph hen but well done for sticking to your guns. He probably thought you were bound to buy them as you had traveled so far. Good luck with your hunt for some good goats. I'm sure you'll find some.  :hug:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 12:35:18 am »
What a waste of over 550 miles driving!!!

Oh no!  You so did the right thing though. Well done!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 06:31:45 am »
I have a herd of boer goats - cae accredited with the Scottish Agricultural College - if you want some advice please contact me by pm if you want to :wave:

Alternatively the BBGS website has a map showing members details and location.

Pm'd you last night... Miss read your message as "if you want some please contact me if you want!" Sorry!
I'll have a look at the BBSGS website again. I think I started there last time but the people I spoke to Didnt keep them anymore. I'll give it a proper try starting today!

Thanks for all your support!

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 08:37:07 am »
Please do contact Trading Standards for the sake of the poor old goats! Yes, he may have come over as a "lovely man" but so do all con men, it's how they make their living. And comments via the internet could have been put on by his family and friends!
If you are worried about come-back pm me his details and I will do it. X
I'm sure there must be a Boer breeders site out there somewhere.

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 08:53:06 am »
I will reply to your PM - happy to advise you if you want :goat:

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 09:32:09 am »
Please do contact Trading Standards for the sake of the poor old goats! Yes, he may have come over as a "lovely man" but so do all con men, it's how they make their living. And comments via the internet could have been put on by his family and friends!
If you are worried about come-back pm me his details and I will do it. X
I'm sure there must be a Boer breeders site out there somewhere.

If anything comes of it he'll know it was me though. And do trading standards really care about such low level stuff?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 09:37:11 am »
If that had been me I think I would probably have bought them just because of all those miles travelled and then it sounds like I would have bought myself a whole heap of trouble.
You definitely did the right thing although I am sure it was a tough decision.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 09:51:18 am »
I morally want to report this to trading standards but don't want any come back. I spoke to defra this morning and although it would all be confidential, he'd know it was me.
I'm also pretty sure if someone from trading standards came out he would present three beautiful goats and say he had no idea what the problem was. So I'm not going to. Sorry.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS