Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Turkeys  (Read 5161 times)

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
Turkeys
« on: October 06, 2014, 07:47:33 pm »
At what age do turkey poults become adults?  My lot are quite big 16 weeks and l wondered when they could be classed as adult. 

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: Turkeys
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 09:56:50 pm »
For what purpose? Are you trying to classify to sell them or??? I don't think there is an official cut off for any poultry, is there? Something like POL is often 18 weeks onward but strictly speaking depends on the time of year, breed of poultry etc.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 10:27:58 pm »
I think turkeys are recognised as adults at 18 weeks at that time they can go on to adult feed.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 07:37:17 pm by bigchicken »
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 10:29:28 am »
What a great question!  ;D

Never though about that before.

I don't think there is a set age where they would change from a poult to an adult although I always think of poults as still being on heat.

Again that would vary on the time of year and location so no set age.

In chickens, Pullets and cockerels are less than a year old then they become hens and cocks, although in the commercial environment I found a pullet is often referred to as a hen once she started to lay.

Hoo Nose  ;D

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 12:12:59 pm »
Our poults only stay under heat for three weeks.  I think of them as adult once they start behaving as mature birds - laying for hens and displaying for stags.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 01:23:44 pm »
Our poults only stay under heat for three weeks.

where do you live? mine don't feather up fully until at least 5 weeks, my heat unless its summertime is usually still on around 6 weeks old

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 01:44:39 pm »
My turkeys were brought up by a hen and she did all the work keeping them warm.  When they were bigger than she was we moved her and they are now free ranging.  The weather has been nice and warm this year so no worries.  The stags are displaying so l will now class them as teenagers, with the attitude to match.  When they get a bit bigger we may keep 3 to overwinter so then l expect they will be adults.  Interesting birds, totally brain dead a lot more work than chucks, but really fun.  Very good alarm call when the fox visited and warned the ducks and chucks to take cover. They have a cayenne pepper sandwich every day to stop any blackhead surfacing and so far they are well.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 02:06:28 pm »
very inquisitive things aren't they :)

everytime i sit out in the garden they are all around me  ;D

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 02:36:35 pm »
Our poults only stay under heat for three weeks.
where do you live? mine don't feather up fully until at least 5 weeks, my heat unless its summertime is usually still on around 6 weeks old
We're in the Marches.  They go outside in a well-protected coop and run in a pole barn.  We don't hatch eggs later than the end of July, though, or they won't be mature enough to withstand our windy hilltop weather in the Winter.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 02:41:54 pm »
Interesting birds, totally brain dead a lot more work than chucks, but really fun.

I find them much less work than chickens - the pecking order thing is watered down to a few minutes' hissing and neck twirling, although they drink a lot as they're growing so need a bigger drinker or two smaller ones

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 02:46:24 pm »
I Googled the Marches and its either Italy or Wales?  ;D

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 08:08:12 pm »
Oh, Wales, of course. I beleive it was so called because it was as far as the Welsh could march eastwards before the English king sent out soldiers to push them back across the border.  Our own bit was once part of Wales and some of the place names - Welsh Newton, English Bicknor - show how confusing things got at atimes!

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 01:30:22 pm »
We are in west Wales,  quite high up so cooler than the valleys but not much.  Our pecking order consists of the smaller birds having to wait for food or get in there and risk a peck or two.  We have a stag with a real attitude problem and does not like 2 of the others.  The other stag that started to fight is in the freezer, he drew blood.  They don't seem to settle like chucks but continue to chase the ones they don't like for a bit while a chuck will make her point and then leave it alone.  Nagarransetts, wonder if its the breed.  The slate stag is lovely.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2014, 12:08:15 am »
Strange - I've got three stags and three hens in together and they all muck along beautifully. Completely dim - I cleaned them out and they refused to go into their shed for days, even roosting on their food pallet in the pouring rain rather than going onto their perch in the dry. Took ages to round them back in every night. But nicely tempered one and all (bronze if that makes any difference).

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2014, 08:49:53 am »
We had one stag that was defensive of the hens - he went.  He was the only one, though.  The rest have just displayed furiously but kept their distance.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS