Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stall chains  (Read 5711 times)

daveh

• Joined Nov 2008
  • South Northamptonshire
Stall chains
« on: October 06, 2014, 07:22:07 pm »
Does anyone know of a supplier of stall chains? I have recently bought a farm that has a byre equipped with stalls but some of the stall chains are missing. They are the type where a ring runs up and down a vertical quick release post. The ring has a short length of chain, then a swivel with two lengths of chain running from it. At the end of these two chains are one with a ring and the other with a tab that fits through the ring. Any ideas?

Regards, David

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Stall chains
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 08:39:41 pm »
If you find any, I'd liek some too. I thought about bodging something with rope  :eyelashes:

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 09:22:48 pm »
Search 'cow ties' on ebay. Rope ones readily available for £5.

farmvet

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 11:11:51 pm »
Just a couple of tips on using stall chains (1) put a false string link in - its easy to cut in an emergency
(2) make sure you've a good lightening conductor on the byre - I once saw a whole byre full of cows electrocuted after a lightening strike

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 07:41:52 am »

Mountainwoman

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 11:00:51 pm »
I'm pretty sure they sell cow chains in my local agicultural merchants so worth having a look in your local shop. Not sure if I'm allowed to mention the name of the shop or not so I won't just now.

daveh

• Joined Nov 2008
  • South Northamptonshire
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 06:58:35 pm »
Have looked in all my local agricultural merchants with no success. Who are your local merchants, you can mention the name.

Regards, David

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 07:01:47 pm »
I'm pretty sure they sell cow chains in my local agicultural merchants so worth having a look in your local shop. Not sure if I'm allowed to mention the name of the shop or not so I won't just now.

who?

Mountainwoman

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 10:10:44 pm »
McCaskies in Lanark. They also have the shop at the Caledonian mart in Stirling. I'm pretty sure I noticed them there once but think they were about £40. Might be worth phoning them to check.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 10:03:27 am »
 By stall chains, do you mean those chains by which farmers used to keep their cows tied up, facing a blank wall all winter?
Do people still do that in these "enlightened" times?

« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 10:07:20 am by landroverroy »
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 11:55:11 am »
I would not have a cow tethered all winter but for holding while being milked, having calves set on or for routine management tasks they can be invaluable.

daveh

• Joined Nov 2008
  • South Northamptonshire
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 12:08:11 pm »
Landroverroy asked: By stall chains, do you mean those chains by which farmers used to keep their cows tied up, facing a blank wall all winter?

Yes, they do. Tim Tyne is a proponent.

I want them for milking and also keeping cows in overnight if the weather is hostile.

Regards, Dave

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 12:22:31 pm »
By stall chains, do you mean those chains by which farmers used to keep their cows tied up, facing a blank wall all winter?

On Shetland, a lot of cattle are kept like this. The calves are loose but the cows are tethered.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, 12:41:32 pm »
we are planning on using these as this is the only way we can house all the cattle safely atm.
not for 24/7 but for feeding and shelter when the days are awful. my cattle have been out all yr for a long time so im sure they will appreciate being able to come in for the night to dry out.
we did try using a loosebox last yr but the mess one cow made of a good straw bed in 24 hrs was a lot. tying up at least keeps the poop in one place.
ideally we would have a big airy barn with a tractor to muck out with, along with a pressure hose and slurry pit but we don't.
plus as we have a bullock who is wanting to keep his distance from the bull, a heifer calf who also needs her distance, and needs handling, and a cow to milk, having them in stalls means we can achieve this.

btw Rideaway and Robinsons sell tie ropes with clips etc that look handy if using a ring.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS