Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Going rate for tack sheep  (Read 10776 times)

sweet_lfa

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Pembs
Going rate for tack sheep
« on: October 06, 2014, 08:45:23 am »
As title really! Please could someone give me a figure for the going rate on tack sheep?  Also how many sheep for 8 acres?  Thanks  :)
1 x WB horse, 1 x Sec A pony, 2 x Kunekunes, 3 x Embden geese, 2 x Fawn Chinese Geese, 4 x Dexter Cows, 1 x Springer Spaniel, 1 x Jack Russell, 1 x Light Sussex, 1 x Wellsummer, 2 x Pekins, 3 x ex-batt hens, 1 x pet boyfriend

Carey boy

• Joined May 2014
  • Caernarfon, North Wales
Re: Going rate for tack sheep
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 09:11:19 am »
Hi,

What is a TACK sheep?

David

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 09:40:13 am »
We get 50p per head per week.  Or at least we're supposed to.
 I don't think the farmer can count  :roflanim: .

The how many depends on too many different factors to even have a guess at though!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

sweet_lfa

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Pembs
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 10:52:57 am »
Thank you Womble.  Oh that's low   :( Not sure if you're getting paid too much or not enough by your farmer, but judging by the ROFL smiley I'm guessing he gives you too much!

Carey Boy, sorry if my grammar has offended. By tack sheep I meant sheep on tack.

1 x WB horse, 1 x Sec A pony, 2 x Kunekunes, 3 x Embden geese, 2 x Fawn Chinese Geese, 4 x Dexter Cows, 1 x Springer Spaniel, 1 x Jack Russell, 1 x Light Sussex, 1 x Wellsummer, 2 x Pekins, 3 x ex-batt hens, 1 x pet boyfriend

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 12:56:26 pm »
TBH, I think we're underpaid rather than overpaid. However, the reality is that keeping our neighbours friendly towards us is far more important than the money. We also get to take fallen trees from his land for firewood, so that's another reason to keep him sweet!

I'd be interested to hear what others are paid / paying though!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 01:09:46 pm »

Carey Boy, sorry if my grammar has offended. By tack sheep I meant sheep on tack.

I don't think it was your grammar, I think it was a genuine question - it is one of those things where there is a huge variation in the regional description.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 01:11:14 pm »
Last year I paid 25p per head per week.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

sweet_lfa

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Pembs
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 01:55:05 pm »
We were told by a local farmer to not accept less than 70p a head, which seems a lot compared to what you guys are suggesting.  I put an "advert" on a Facebook group earlier and two people have already contacted me wanting the land.  Might ask the previous owners of the land what they used to charge  ;)

Thanks everyone!  :thumbsup:

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 02:04:30 pm »
Tack sheep, work in a few different ways.

If I put them on tack on your land, and it's fenced, has water, and you do all of the checks daily. Then it's 50p per head per week, and that's for good grazing or roots. With that, it's also your obligation to feed hay etc if we get bad snow, and they can't feed on the grass.

If it's crappy grazing, or I have to do all of the checks, etc I wouldn't be wanting to much more than 25-35 pence per head, per week.

For eight acres, if it's good grass, I would probably put something like 15-25 sheep on it for six weeks, let it rest, return etc.

It's not huge money, unless you have a good bit of land, and a good number of sheep in.

You may be better off renting it to someone on a different basis, i.e if it was well fenced, had water, i'd probably pay you up to £70 an acre or so, for the year. If it was handy, i'd probably give you £700, and top it, harrow it etc. If it was a bit of a pain, i'd be looking to give you more like £550.

But i'll tell you this for free, you will get more money from horse folk. . . . . . . but they will ruin your land, which will cost you a lot to fix. Or you take less cash from a sheep man, and in turn, they will improve (if done correctly) the land no end.

sweet_lfa

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Pembs
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 02:57:50 pm »
Tack sheep, work in a few different ways.

If I put them on tack on your land, and it's fenced, has water, and you do all of the checks daily. Then it's 50p per head per week, and that's for good grazing or roots. With that, it's also your obligation to feed hay etc if we get bad snow, and they can't feed on the grass.

If it's crappy grazing, or I have to do all of the checks, etc I wouldn't be wanting to much more than 25-35 pence per head, per week.

For eight acres, if it's good grass, I would probably put something like 15-25 sheep on it for six weeks, let it rest, return etc.

It's not huge money, unless you have a good bit of land, and a good number of sheep in.

You may be better off renting it to someone on a different basis, i.e if it was well fenced, had water, i'd probably pay you up to £70 an acre or so, for the year. If it was handy, i'd probably give you £700, and top it, harrow it etc. If it was a bit of a pain, i'd be looking to give you more like £550.

But i'll tell you this for free, you will get more money from horse folk. . . . . . . but they will ruin your land, which will cost you a lot to fix. Or you take less cash from a sheep man, and in turn, they will improve (if done correctly) the land no end.

I'm horsey and my horses aren't allowed anywhere near the land!!!  :o  It is very good quality grazing, we had two cuts of small bale haylage off it over the summer which will pay our mortgage on it  :)  The sheep are going to be on it to improve the quality for when the spring grass starts coming through and for keeping the hedges tidy.  It is well fenced into four paddocks each with its own water supply. We're certainly not doing it to make money, it's more to look after the land.  I just wanted to know if there was a standard(ish) rate which people charge :) Thanks anyway.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 10:26:25 am »
I'm on 20p, but I do check etc.

Although round here there aren't many people who can just bung 100 sheep on to eat the grass for a bit, and as a consequence of that I often don't pay anything.

Ladygrey

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Basingstoke
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 10:46:20 am »
25p but mostly its free as the dairy farmers want it eaten down

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2014, 10:56:14 am »
Supply and demand plus maybe more important how nice is your tack shepherd? Do the sheep get taken away when agreed and does he pay on time?

Here I get 280 acres free (have to fence and check etc), 120 acres I pay 15p/wk /head that's fenced and looked at a bit----other places I pay 25p

But some of this is HLS land and the owner has to keep it lightly grazed (so he has his money already)

Go nearer to Wales and you will pay 50/70p ---not sure how you make a living at that rate though?

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2014, 05:32:37 pm »
50p a week each around here.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

sweet_lfa

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Pembs
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2014, 11:01:21 am »
Its a done deal @ 70p a head per week  :sheep:  Sheep owner is responsible for all checks and supplying additional feed if necessary (if it snows). :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS