Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Squinty Ewe !  (Read 1942 times)

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
Squinty Ewe !
« on: October 01, 2014, 07:53:33 pm »
Tonight noticed one of my ewes was carrying her tail held sort of clamped over to one side.   On observing more I see that she can lie down and get up ok but when she walks she is 'crabbing' and walks with her left hip in to the left. Fairly pronounced squint!.   Seems to otherwise be ok and is eating.    There is a faint marking indicating that she's probably been tupped in the 24 hrs prior, however the chap in question is only a youngish tup lamb and she's a mature ewe so can't see how that would have caused a problem (i.e. not a ewe lamb being squashed by a heavy mature ram!)

Weird !     Any ideas  ???       

Have metacam so will probably give this tomorrow (it was getting dark tonight when I checked them)    Can't really see what else to try (apart from a sheepy chiropractor!)

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Squinty Ewe !
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 12:19:09 pm »
Sounds like damage to the hip , will probably come right given time ( she's still putting weight on it ??   )   the ram  often bashes the ewe around the hip leg area some times taking a short run or she may not have been standing square when he jumped

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 02:36:35 pm »
Ram lambs' enthusiasm sometimes overtakes the niceties of courtship.  I'd keep an eye on her and make sure she's not run anywhere for the next week or so.  If it gets worse might be worth having a word with the vet.

ewesaidit

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 07:11:52 pm »
Thanks for the replies - that's exactly what I would have thought and was ready to give her Metacam tonight, however .....

Vet popped in on his way home for a look and guess what? ....... flippin maggots in the tail !!!

Can't believe that could cause her to move strangely like that - I had a look in the wool on either side last night  and didn't see anything and she firmly held her tail to the side.

Quick snip with the scissors and put on some Spot On and vet said that should be that.  :relief:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS