Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lame then not lame???  (Read 2629 times)

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
Lame then not lame???
« on: September 30, 2014, 11:10:14 pm »
I've noticed that one of my ewes when she 'trots' to see me she looks slightly lame, when she walks she doesn't look lame and when she 'canters' she doesn't look lame. I've checked her several times and can't find anything wrong. She doesn't flinch when I press her hoof, leg or shoulder. She's not always been like this! Any ideas? Thank you 
4 pet sheep

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Lame then not lame???
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 11:30:06 pm »
That's sheep for you ::)

It could be something or nothing.  Keep an eye on it but it's most likely  a slight strain that will pass.

They do this a *lot*  ::)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 06:31:47 am »
Yep, just like my children, sheep can have a "very soore" foot one day, and seem better the minute a treat is on offer...

Maybe she is also getting on a bit though?

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 06:40:21 am »
And there is always one who pretends to be dead! I think they take turns at this ;D

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 08:47:39 am »
I had an in lamb ewe in spring that was lame on and off several times over 6 weeks, at times quite badly so.
I wasn't sure when shd was due and thought it may be soon so (after getting good advice on here) I decided it was better to spare her the stress of checking her out properly (there was no obvious wound of swelling) and just keep an eye on her.
The limping disappeared and came back and disappeared again a few times - sure enough she lambed last and several weeks off all the others. When I finally checked her over there was nothing wrong with her foot and she has not been lame since. Go figure...
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Katrina

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 10:23:33 am »
And there is always one who pretends to be dead! I think they take turns at this ;D

Devonlady, I laughed at your comment this morning when I read it drinking my first coffee of the day.  I then went outside and found one of my ewes doing exactly that, they do like to create a panic and that will teach me for laughing  :roflanim:

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 10:43:54 am »
Thanks for all your replies! I'll just keep an eye on her... and see what happens!!
4 pet sheep

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS