Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Turkeys  (Read 1629 times)

Le Recoignot

• Joined Oct 2009
Turkeys
« on: September 26, 2014, 07:27:54 pm »
Last year at the beginning of September I bought 2 white turkey poults a male and a female, they were killed and dressed etc on 10th December after which between them they had a combined weight of 60lbs. The 2 birds had access to peck about outside along with a diet of turkey food and wheat. Importantly they were very easy to deal with. Oh how I wish...

This year my previous supply source had only black turkeys, 9 days ago I bought two females that refuse to settle down they express little interest in going outside, they appear to drink but eat little and spend their days walking up and down. If I enter the building it sends them into blind panic, and despite having their wings clipped this experience is at least un-pleasant and at worst dangerous. What am I doing wrong?

At 3 months of age the vendor suggested I introduce some pepper into their diet, can anyone explain why?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Turkeys
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 08:02:20 pm »
Are they the same age as the white turkeys you bought last year?   And from the same farm?  They may be older so not eating as much. Turkeys do drink a lot as they're growing. They may have been handled very differently from the first batch, hence their nervousness.  I suggest you try acclimatising them to your presence in the same way as you would other livestock:  approach and the moment they start to panic stop and move slowly backwards until they calm down again.  This may have to be done many, many times before they get the idea you're not a threat and, indeed, the penny may never drop. 

holz306

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 08:59:06 pm »
What's the right age for killing - we've been offered bronze poults at 6weeks old now, would they be ready for Christmas as I'd like to raise them outdoor

Le Recoignot

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 09:03:51 pm »
Nicely hijacked. What sort of weight are you anticipating? If it becomes cold they need to be indoors.

Le Recoignot

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 09:09:25 pm »
Thanks Marches farmer, one is bigger than the other, I think they are a little older than last years, they just will not tolerate me within 6'-7' of them. One actually escaped its box whilst in the car (me driving) on the way home - not a great experience.

holz306

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 09:21:53 pm »
 :hug: sorry didn't mean to hijack, I'm not too sure as I've not raised them before :thinking:, I guess as big/heavy as possible. Obviously they'll be housed at night and they can be taken in if the weather is terrible

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 09:34:59 pm »
The breeder presumably meant cayenne pepper which is used to help prevent blackhead.

My black & bronze are quite tame, not entirely so though. It may be that yours this time 'round weren't handled much or well.  It'll probably take a lot of time and patience, and a lot of treats.

:wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS