Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Some (very)basics  (Read 4732 times)

Pindo

• Joined Sep 2014
Some (very)basics
« on: September 25, 2014, 07:42:38 pm »
hello,

So I recently inherited a smallholding and I think I'm going to try and manage the grass with 4/5 sheep over 2 acres. But I will also need to cut the grass as well so I am thinking about the various options; tractor w/topper, ATV with flail etc. So my beginners question is for either of those 2 options what happens to all the grass once topped/flailed? Do I need to collect it or can it be left to natures cycles? And how would that effect the sheep?
puzzled.
Any advice welcome
thanks
A. Novice

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Some (very)basics
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 07:55:57 am »
Hello :wave: If you have a tractor, I would say a topper would be best. If you haven't ask a local farmer to top it for you and pull it into a corner or take it away. If it's decent grass he may bale it. It wouldn't affect sheep at all, they prefer short grass. Three sheep won't manage two acres, get a few more if you can and geese are wonderful grazers if you can guard against foxes! Hope this helps a bit, I'm sure others will have useful advice. Enjoy your inheritance :thumbsup:

Pindo

• Joined Sep 2014
what to do with grass from a flail il mower?
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 08:52:47 am »
Ok so a few more sheep are needed and maybe some geese, good suggestion, hadn't really thought about that
I might have the possibility of borrowing a flail mower, but how would I , or for that matter anyone collect up what it cuts? or can I just leave it to break down?  :farmer:

thanks

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 09:18:11 am »
What a lovely inheritance!

If you want to collect and use the grass, then mow it with a mower.  If you just want to shorten it to make it more palatable to the sheep, and to control weeds, then top it and leave the toppings - the sheep will eat them as they dry in situ.

How many sheep per acre depends on the type of grass / terrain, the climate and the type of sheep; hereabouts, severely disadvantaged in north Cumbria, 2 commercial type sheep /acre is plenty for reshy rough pasture.  Maybe 3/acre in a good summer but not all year round.  If you chose a primitive type, you could carry a few more.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Pindo

• Joined Sep 2014
Grass and sheep
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 02:12:00 pm »
Hey Sally,

thanks for those tips. I have now  read of the grass management section on this excellent site so its beginning to sink in a bit more. I'm in the South East so I reckon I can get maybe 4/5 sheep an acre as the grass seems quite good here.

Cheers

JTFarms

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 03:23:55 am »
Why not get you a hand rake or if you have use of a drawn rake said I have seen a rake made just  making pine straw square bales it is a small wheel rake that can be put behind your ATV  and puts the (hay the dried grass) in a neat windrow so you could take a pitchfork and pick up and store it in some kind of covered shelter just make sure that the grass is good and dry before you put in a pile are it will mold and could catch fire   many  a barn been lost to green hay being stored wrong.  James
James

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 11:28:48 pm »
We've got about 5 acres of grass and we just keep it mowed - but it is around the house so same principle as a mowing the lawn except on a bigger scale.... Also in the South East - where abouts are you?

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 12:23:58 pm »
Without meaning to sound funny. . .

But are you sure that a tractor and topper is really a worthwhile investment for a 2 acre plot? To be fair, you'd be far better finding someone local to come and top it a couple of times a year.

I also think that 8-10 sheep on 2 acres all year round is going to cause a few problems. Unless managed very carefully and extra fodder brought in. Our winter grazing stocking rate is more like 2 an acre.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2014, 08:31:25 pm »
We have 2 mini Shetland ponies that eat the long stuff and the sheep eat the short stuff, we got the ponies for £50 each although you can get them free.  There have been articles on this website where people (Sally?) have dried the kidney shaped horse poos and used them for excellent kindling.  Super cheap to keep and extremely hardy, don't need a house or shorn, just get their hooves trimmed about 3 times a year, costs about £25 a time. They are vastly easier and less hassle than sheep, (read that bit again!!) just make sure you strip graze them so they don't get fat too quickly or you get feet problems.

But I know you fellas like your machines, gumtree website will be your best bet for paying not too much.

Make sure you get good grass munchers in the sheep breed, some sheep are better at it than others - we keep a few different types of primitives who like browsing goat like more than they like the grass.

Welcome to your new lifestyle.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS