Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Faecal Egg Counts  (Read 2196 times)

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
Faecal Egg Counts
« on: September 24, 2014, 12:44:30 pm »
Who uses Faecal Egg Counts to monitor parasite levels?  How often, diy, vet or sent off (if so, who to and how much?)

Just trying to develop a more comprehensive strategy

Thanks

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
Re: Faecal Egg Counts
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 02:13:35 pm »
A lot depends on how many animals you have on how much land and what else is using the land. Speak to your vet, they are the best at advising how often, cost etc and then how frequently. Best to check FEC rather than just worm AdLib or regularly to avoid resistance. You can diy  if you get hold of a kit ,check on line, re cost. Good luck. :innocent:

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 09:51:03 pm »

I tried this year and asked for a test for cocci too.Wanted the vet to sort me out something other than Panacrap. Test cost £5 they didn't have cocci but the ordainary stronglids.I was told I'd have to dose them with Deccox......think about it! ;)

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 10:57:35 pm »
I find it hard to believe that some people have such poor support from their vets, either I am extremely lucky or they are very unlucky. The only time I have had cause for concern was over my goats but luckily the vet was happy to listen to me. They did do little in their studies re goats but I hope things are better now, but sheep ???? Shame  :huff: :innocent:

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 09:12:55 am »
I have a good vets - I am just interested in others approach.  I think I will get a faecal egg count done monthly just wondering how others approach this
Thanks

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 10:42:58 am »
Hi cuckoo I start with a fec and depending on the results and time of year ie spring rise , I may do it more frequently depending on the forecast but usually rely on vet advise re follow up depending on result and if there are lambs around. The adults can cope with a reasonable burden far better than young lambs.
I had wes done at lambing when the egg drop is usually higher due to the stress they are under, all neg but within 2weeks one ewe had a 400pergm count so it can vary and quickly, this was in April.
Glad to hear there are others around who make good use of some very good vets !!!! :sunshine:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS