Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Do goats eat Himalayan balsam?  (Read 6207 times)

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Do goats eat Himalayan balsam?
« on: September 22, 2014, 05:16:41 pm »
Same story as many parts, had a few bits a few years ago, despite pulling, spraying etc, it's multiplying!
Would goats nibble new shoots in spring and be another weapon in this WAR?

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: Do goats eat Himalayan balsam?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 08:29:25 pm »
Would imagine so as they are edible by humans too! The shoots and immature, green seed pods are edible and if you eat the seed pods before they mature then they can't form seeds and another little skirmish in the war is won. That being said have never eaten it myself!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 11:33:23 pm »
I have never fed it to my goats, but knowing them, they would eat it.  Having said that, my neighbour has some near the river, and what started out as a little bit, is now like a jungle, and her sheep do not seem to eat it. Its spread at an alarming rate, and I notice its gone the other side of the big river now.  I am  sure it should be pulled up, or everyone will have it.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 11:40:54 pm »
We pull ours and burn it before it seeds ,don't think I would risk the goats with it though
If you try to pull it once the seed head develops they explode open and spread seeds for a good few yards.

Edited to say that I have just googled it and it seems they have been using herds of goats on national trust land to get rid of it  :-\
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 11:45:55 pm by sokel »
Graham

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 07:52:30 am »
I have no idea about goats but bees love it. OH strimmed ours down quite early and when I complained he said there was plenty on the roadside verges for our bees.
I did some dyeing with it this year and it came out a lovely ginger colour
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 08:54:10 am »
All parts are edible to people. The seeds are really tasty, but we have far too much to manage by hand now and it's on steep banks. Spray some areas every year as well as pulling out several tons each season but it's not even curbing the spread.  >:(
I've been after goats for years, maybe this will be the final straw in convincing my other half? I'll have a look at the national trust website.

I know bees like it, but it's too invasive, and really wipes out other species.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 10:14:31 am »
Well our cattle eat it with relish and keep it in check, so I would imagine goats would do the same.
Sometimes I pull it and give it to the pigs and they love it.
By the way (irrelevent info) - it is one of the constituents of Bach's Rescue Remedy, so must be of some use.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 10:48:02 am »
I know sheep don't eat it so assumed cattle wouldn't either. This is brilliant news that pigs or cattle might also help! Thanks very much.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 07:57:00 pm »
Yes....and Japanese knotweed...don't know why people don't use them more often but they'd rather shoot them than use them ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS