Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: scouring ewe  (Read 2275 times)

maddy

• Joined Jul 2012
scouring ewe
« on: September 18, 2014, 05:12:47 pm »
wormed my 7 ryelands last week with Oramec and moved them into new field.  One is scouring green fairly thick liquid which really smells.  She is the only one.  Do you think I should worm her again or could it just be the grass?

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: scouring ewe
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 05:37:16 pm »
Maddy, I am no expert but I  do have some Ryelands. My lambs were wormed about 6 weeks ago and recently have been scouring badly. I have given them all some hay each day and they have now dried up.
I would think its much too soon to worm her again but perhaps an expert will be along soon who will say differently.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 06:39:04 pm »
Put a magnesium bucket lick in with them x

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 07:58:19 pm »
Could well be the grass all of our cows were scouring and have cleared up now after being fed a bale of straw every day. I noticed tonight one of my lambs is a bit mucky around its back end and the calves that they are out with are as well so think we might have to put some hay/straw out for them too.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 08:11:22 pm »
Going onto thick pasture if they've been on well grazed or dry pasture could be a problem for some sheep.  Most can cope but there's often one that can't.  Watch out for liver fluke if the pasture's good because it's wet.  Hardly had a drop of rain for seven weeks here so not presently a problem.

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 10:32:36 pm »
I wouldn't worm again, if you wormed for her weight and you thought worms still then I would take a specimen to the vet for a feacal egg count. Easier and cheaper to go down the new grass theory and give hay and wait and see. Repeat worming when there may be no reason too will only lead to resistance.  :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS