Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: supply shopping help  (Read 4767 times)

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
supply shopping help
« on: September 17, 2014, 01:40:19 pm »
Going to purchase a few things for my imminent new arrivals tomorrow. Any suggestions would be appreciated, I have a few older hurdles I have inherited and made myself a trough, already have small buckets etc. If I don't have a wee list to stick to then I will go through over board!. A basic first aid type kit seems fairly wise, though I do have a large horsey one at the moment.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
Re: supply shopping help
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 01:56:17 pm »
For a small flock, I like using the heavy duty round black trugs for feeding - easy to throw around the field and I can see who is getting the food and the shy feeders stand a better chance.  And a larger one for water.  Easy to keep clean and top up. 

Can never have too many hurdles ;D .

Jakoti type shears - but be careful :o

Drench gun, does not have to be expensive one. Mineral drench.
Lamb foot shears in preference to large ones (though I hardly trim now).

Have fun :thumbsup:

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 02:36:29 pm »
Nettex mytilite s for foot trimming, they are dinky for smaller hands and very good piece of kit

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 03:18:52 pm »
You don't need a proper drenching gun - you can get individual syringe type drenching guns, which are ideal if you have to worm small numbers. Google "drenching syringe", probably cheaper to order over the internet. a 20ml and 50ml should do most drenches (wormers and flukicides)

You will need a sprayer type thingy for applying flystrike preventative (plus obviously bottle of Crovect, or Clik - my personal preference now, or Clikzin), but hopefully now only next spring!

A halter rope - you can get them ready tied up

A can of marker spray (I have found that it is easier to have all sheep in a tight hurdle pen when treating, as easier to catch, just a wee dot of spray marker on the ones already done is necessary

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 03:30:26 pm »
If I look at my kit bag for the sheep it contains -

Terramycin (Purple) spray.
Red spray marker.
Dagging shears (BB).
Foot Trimmers (Netex) - Rarely used.
Spray gun for crovect / clik.
Drench Gun for worming etc.
Tool for applying rings to tails / testicles.
Selection of syringes and needles.
Ear Notcher.
Bailing twine.
Pen / Note pad.
Plastic sandwich bags (for FEC samples).
Sharp Knife.
Crook.

On top of that a pile of hurdles and a decent dog, and you can do most things.

Water troughs are far more important than food troughs. You shouldn't need to feed your sheep, most of the year!!!!

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 09:02:46 pm »
Thanks guys :thumbsup: I have plenty of heavy duty thick tub trug things, hadn't even thought of those. I think I'm way over thinking things.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 11:00:00 pm »
The black tub trugs things are really handy.  The lambs curl up in them to sleep ;D .  If I had more time to find them, I'd attach photos ::)

Enjoy your sheep, they're great :hugsheep: :hungry:

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 11:48:58 pm »
Are they just the regular horse feed ones? I also have loads of white show foal rope halters (for teeny wee ponies),that may well be of use.
Thank you, feeling a tad nervous  ;D

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 08:11:29 am »
Digestive biscuits. You'll soon have them, literally, eating out of your hand. Very useful when it comes to penning them etc.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 09:35:31 am »
Digestive biscuits. You'll soon have them, literally, eating out of your hand. Very useful when it comes to penning them etc.

My goats are on the healthier option - the do anything for an oatcake! Digestive biscuits would never make it out of our house, nevermind get to be eaten by sheep... ;D

I find rattling the bucket with some mix in works a treat, as they can hear it quite far away at the other end of the field (if the wind is in the right direction), so saves a lot of wandering around. Also means I can check on them without all of them rushing towards me (no bucket = no food) and it is easier to spot any lame, slow animals.

Oopsiboughtasheep

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Hampshire
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 10:07:37 am »
Hello Jamie12,
Re: your comment about 'feeling a tad nervous' so was I last week as I had my first ever 2 sheep arriving last Saturday. I put a post on here about needing a confidence boost and had a lot of really helpful support and encouragement which you may or may not find handy to have a look at. As for my '6 day experience of sheep ownership', they are FAB! Loved them so much that since their arrival, I now have 2 more already! .....Zwartbles. I think having sheep might be addictive. Haven't tried the digestives yet (!) but they come every time to a rattled bucket with a few nuts in and already like a head scratch...not tried the halter ropes yet though.......! Good luck with your sheep.
Anything that costs you your peace is too expensive

Jamie12

• Joined Nov 2013
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 10:48:41 am »
Well done Oopsiboughtasheep, Zwartbles are lovely. You will be pleasantly surprised by how easy they are there halter train, my first ever attempt at leading was with an unhandled ewe lamb and she quickly figured it out, it felt great!.

Katrina

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Cornwall
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 01:59:15 pm »
"they do anything for an oatcake! Digestive biscuits would never make it out of our house, nevermind get to be eaten by sheep"  (not sure how you insert a quote)

Anke, that's brilliant - I had never thought of them stupidly, and I have boxes of them as the children wont touch them!! Thank you.  :)

Jamie - hope your sheep bring you lots of pleasure.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 02:00:51 pm by Katrina »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS