Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Most horrible thing - rotten egg broken under hen and chicks!  (Read 1796 times)

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Most horrible thing - rotten egg broken under hen and chicks!
« on: September 16, 2014, 01:46:32 pm »
As title, husband noticed horrible smell in the yard, several meters away from a broody light Sussex in her little hutch. She must have broken one of the eggs, as it now have three chicks hours old, the underside of my hen and more chicks hatching out into the most minging stuff ever. I've wiped what I can off all parties and changed straw, but don't want to interfere any more as some eggs are piping right now.

I will ALWAYS candle all my future broods and remove any eggs that are dead. Everyone is going to need a bath. I'll dry them off in the brooder I guess. Two of the chicks are plastered all over. Very nasty!
Any suggestions beyond warm water and brooder to dry?
Maybe I should do mum first?

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
Re: Most horrible thing - rotten egg broken under hen and chicks!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 03:20:54 pm »
I wouldn't worry too much about the birds, they will clean themselves off. Maybe clean out the house when they are out. I had this with some Welsummer eggs this year. She was on straw on 8 eggs and came out with 7 chicks but no 8th egg. I eventually found it (smelt it first) crushed under the straw with dead chick in it. I assume she had broken it sometime before lockdown. Not nice but all the rest are fine at 3 weeks and counting.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 05:03:11 pm »
This is like someone threw in a cup of rotten milk under her, I don't think they are going to fluff up as all stuck down with it. Thinking this will be bad with weather already suboptimal.

NicandChic

• Joined Oct 2013
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 06:25:36 pm »
Ohh I so know what you mean, our duck threw a rotten egg out her nest, I was walking through the yard & the smell hit me...followed my nose to one black broken egg! The stench was unbelievable.
I'd probably give them a quick was and rub, dry in brooder as you've said, maybe a wee low with a hair dryer, make sure they don't get a draft etc.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 12:00:49 am »

There's nothing as disgustingly stinky as a rotten egg  :tired:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 12:19:34 am »
My children still haven't forgiven me for cracking open unhatched eggs while they ate their breakfast - all of which were fertile at some point so they all exploded with a fair degree of force and then stank the kitchen out. I just wanted to check what had happened (to be fair, not much clearer afterwards) but I did move the operation outside after one blew over everything.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 06:03:16 am »
We always look for signs of gassing, which appear as tiny crusty deposits on the surface. Then remove them carefully.

I'd wash hen and chicks Steph Hen. Thought of them sticking in a smelly mess to mum overnight isn't nice.
As you say problem is eggs pipping, so a quick wash and blow dry I think. Chicks a wash and into the brooder.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS