Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Turn croft into meadow?  (Read 4481 times)

netmgr

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Scotland
Turn croft into meadow?
« on: September 14, 2014, 01:48:24 pm »
We were looking at the decrofting issue and it seems that its unlikely we could decroft the whole croft.

As an owner occupier if we don't actively croft the land its my understanding that the crofting commission can install their own tenant who can then do what they like and even force us to sell the land.

On this basis we were looking at the crofting act and it seems we should be able to perhaps turn it into a natural meadow land, however I'm unsure how how this is different from not 'actively crofting the land'

Any thoughts?

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
Re: Turn croft into meadow?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 05:05:13 pm »
The crofting rules are specifically there to keep land in active agricultural use, that is their raison d'etre.

Decrofting is usually only granted for very specific reasons (usually a house site as it is required before a bank will give a mortgage) and I can't think of any reason why they would (or should) be willing to allow a whole croft to be decrofted.

A 'natural meadow' does not sound terribly much like agriculture to me however if you were to do it under an agri environmental scheme that would possibly count.  The best solution though would be to get 2 sheep.  You don't need to be earning a living from agriculture, just making an effort, however small that effort is.

Having said all that whilst the CC does have the powers to sublet unused croft land they are glacially slow about doing anything about it and if they started the process you would have plenty time to get those 2 sheep before it got anywhere.  They are highly unlikely to do anything if you live on the croft - their priority is crofts which are held by people who live so far away there is no prospect of them doing any crofting.
Although in my opinion they need to pull their fingers out and get a bit more heavy handed with a few more vacant crofts  :innocent:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 06:16:55 pm »
do meadows not need to be cut or grazed in late summer anyway?
or were you wanting to leave it wild and untouched? even wild flowers grow tall.

netmgr

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Scotland
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 09:00:40 pm »
The best solution though would be to get 2 sheep. 

I'm not sure I could get away with just the 2 sheep on 200 acres, apparently a meadow may be an option if I can show that I am actively managing it.

netmgr

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Scotland
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 09:02:48 pm »
do meadows not need to be cut or grazed in late summer anyway?
or were you wanting to leave it wild and untouched? even wild flowers grow tall.

That would attract wildlife which is seen as a good thing by the commission I believe?

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 10:41:03 pm »
ha ha my ex had this croft for 10years plus and did nothing with it and when I applied to the CC to have it transferred to me they still wouldn't do anything about it despite him now living 5000 miles away and hasn't been in the UK for 4+ years so I wouldn't worry too much!
What about the 'set aside' scheme?.....my parents had one of theirs on the scheme until earlier this year and now we've ploughed part of it and planted tatties and the rest will go as winter grazing for a few sheep
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Creagan

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 01:40:13 pm »
The best solution though would be to get 2 sheep. 

I'm not sure I could get away with just the 2 sheep on 200 acres, apparently a meadow may be an option if I can show that I am actively managing it.

It must be asked, what *do* you want to do with all that land? And if you don't want to do anything with it, why do you want to have it??

Hamish Crofter

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Isle of Skye
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 05:52:24 pm »
Well said Cregan!

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 01:24:03 pm »
200 acres?.....why did you buy that much ground when you had no intention of actually using it productively  ???

Have you had your census forms yet? It shouldn't take you long to fill those out  ;D
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS