Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Managing hedgerows  (Read 3872 times)

Coeur de Chene

• Joined Mar 2014
Managing hedgerows
« on: September 05, 2014, 09:17:26 am »
I'm fighting off well meaning neighbours who want to razor my hedges down and scrape the grasses away alongside, to 'help me'. I want to let them grow a little- our land is higher than the roadside, and have a wildlife strip alongside them. Does anyone have a calender of actions that they follow to achieve a hedgerow that is 'maintained' to a degree but offers a home for all the ladybirds and toads that my neighbours are chasing out of theirs?
 I have to keep it orderly on the road side.and don't want it to invade crops and animal pens on our side.
Any recommended websites would be good, I've blown the book budget.
I need to I have a plan of action that I can explain and say why I'm doing it, to hold them at bay!
Any advice gratefully received. (How to deal tactfully with neighbours who want you to do it differently included!)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Managing hedgerows
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 11:35:39 am »

Can you post a pic of what they are like currently?

We have two neighbours, one hates our hedges and has no idea what they're 'for' when we have perfectly good post a mesh fences already there  ::) ; the other loves them, even though in places they get a bit tall as they approach laying.  The second one was horrified when we laid our first section, wandered why we were wrecking and killing our hedge. We just told him 'wait and see'.  He wouldn't believe it wasn't dead until a year later when we had a green and much denser hedge.
We have stob and mesh fences on both sides of most of our hedges, but it makes it very difficult to lay them. The fences contain all the rough grass and herbs for insects, birds, amphibians and mammals, creating corridors for them,  and demarcate what is ours.  If weeds grow beyond the fence line then our neighbours can do whatever they want, but they can't get at it to chop it themselves.  Similarly the fences stop, or at least deter, livestock from demolishing the hedges.  Animals can browse on the bits that stick out beyond the fence, but the plants themselves survive.

Your neighbours' concerns will be primarily about the spread of 'weeds', so you do need to be careful not to allow certain invasive plants such as thistles, dock and ragwort to set seed.  So you still need to manage the strips.  Another concern will be loss of light on crops to the north side of the hedge, especially when the hedge is tall pre-laying.    If you don't intend to lay the hedge, then you still need to trim it, in an 'A' profile, to create a dense and useful hedge for nesting birds, and to slow the wind.  If you do intend to lay it, then it's a good idea to keep the sides fairly neat as it grows upwards.  The age when you lay it for the first time will depend on the rate of growth of your trees, but somewhere between 7 and 14 years is the norm.  It's best to find out as much as you can about hedge laying and maintenance before explaining to your neighbours.

We have one stretch of hedge which has totally got away from us so will require some serious work to get it under control this winter, on top all the other hedging work planned.  hedges and wildlife strips and corridors cannot just be left without any maintenance or input, so your action plan is a good idea.  :tree: :tree: :tree:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 09:18:37 am »
All our hedges have been flailed at the same height every year for the past 40 and are now pretty much useless. Just a long row of mini pollards with a hard knuckle where they get flailed every year. Certainly in no way stock proof. My plan is to take the knuckles off and lay them right down and then let them go for 10 or so years, just trimming off the horizontal growth. I don't see why hedges can't be a source of fuel, aside from harvesting issues next to roads. Ours are mostly ash, elm, sycamore and hazel so perfect for coppicing.

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 09:57:59 am »
Tell them you are in the Environmental Stuardship scheme (or even join it), there's grants available for hedgerow management and for hedgerow rejuvenation.  They stipulate you should leave a boundary at the side of the hedge and that you don't have to cut the tops off the hedge.  The book is available on line and they'll send you a copy free if you are applying.  the website is www.naturalengland.org.uk.  I guess from your name you may be in France, there must be an equivalent as its a European thing. 

Hope that helps.
Never ever give up.

Coeur de Chene

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 09:27:52 am »
Really helpful answers thank you. I am having 'issues' with my computer and was unable to send photos or reply on Friday Fleecewife- hopefully this works this time! I'd really appreciate you casting your eye over them.
The hedges are are mainly hawthorn, blackthorn, elder, ash, oak, hazel, brambles, honeysuckle and wild rose from what I can recognise. Would this lay, or would we be better making an A frame?

We have a north hedge which needs to be a bit of a windbreak but not too high as we have electric cables running above them, and the east hedge which has a chill wind coming over it but also need to let the light over.
What happens here is exactly what Stereo describes, just letting our hedge grow last year has thickened it up but as both of them edge the lane they do have to be 'managed'.
The neighbours are lifelong smallholders and a fountain of practical knowledge, I wouldn't want to offend them as our knowledge at the moment is book/internet/telly. But, we are approaching things from a different angle, they are getting on in years and want things done swiftly and with a 'big farming approach'. We have just a couple of hectares and want to equally consider the wildlife.
DartmoorLiz, I shall investigate the Environmental stuardship scheme, sounds really interesting and exactly the approach we want. We are in France but there should be an equivalent.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 09:29:54 am by Coeur de Chene »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 10:09:03 am »

Hi Coeur de Chene

Thank you for the pics.  Two things spring to mind on seeing them.  One is that the hedges are still very small, so several years off being layable.  Laying is a method of repairing a gappy hedge, or thickening it up at the bottom, and yours looks fine.   It does look ideal for trimming as an A shape.  The A shape, as well as letting light get to the bottom branches so they grow and aren't shaded out, provides more animal etc cover underneath.  I hate when hedges are flailed so they look ripped and broken.  Is there any way you can get them properly trimmed rather than flailed? Even a good solid hedge trimmer of the sort you would use in a big garden is a possibility - a bit heavy and tedious, but you would get to know your hedge intimately while you were doing it  :D

The second thing is a psychological one.  On the field side, the longer grass and flowers could be said to be scruffy, and people like neat and tidy.  You want scruffy to give the best habitat.  A compromise needs to be reached.  One thing we do (and it's no longer a lot of work as we have acquired a lawn tractor, instead of using a walk-behind lawn mower)   Is to keep a wide strip along the hedge mown.   This can be as far out as you want, but by keeping it straight-edged and short, you are demarcating the edge of the hedge, which of course includes the scruffy grassy bit as part of the corridor.  This will provide a visual clue to the fact that your hedges are managed, and the scruffy bits are meant to be there. It also makes a path so you can walk around your perimeter comfortably.

Whatever you do to keep a hedge under control, whenever you first do it, it does look awful, totally ravaged.  But it's a living thing and will soon be sprouting new shoots beyond its A, but will be nice and solid underneath, with good protection for nesting and roosting birds.

Apart from the blackthorn, which is an abomination to me  ;D, the other hedge plants you have are fine.  I'm not sure that laying oak would work, and elder is not a good hedge plant, it soon shades out other species to either side, doesn't lay and dies off young so leaves a big gap.  Brambles too tend to get out of hand very quickly as the canes they grow can be 2 or 3 metres long in a few months.  We keep a separate bramble thicket which isn't part of a hedgerow, but provides wonderful wildlife cover and tasty fruit. Hawthorn is the traditional hedge plant - lays well, is thorny, grows strongly and is nibbleable by livestock. Oak we would leave as standards, but you have plenty of mature trees, and oak responds to coppicing/pollarding ie trimming, very well, as does ash.  Hazel will lay or be trimmed and forms a nice solid framework, and honeysuckle and roses are gorgeous.  You might find that if you are trimming your hedges regularly the briars and honeysuckle die out, as they like to have long stems to flower on, so perhaps protect those as you trim.

Overall, from the pictures, my advice would be to cut in the A shape for many years, until the hedge becomes gappy, then grow it tall for a couple of years so you can lay it, and start again with your A.  Keep the edges of your wildflower bit neatly trimmed, and explain to your neighbours that the grassy part is as much a part of the hedge as the hedge itself.   Promise them a good laugh at your expense if it doesn't work but be firm and decisive about what you're doing.

Harebell

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Wiltshire
    • Maythorn Farm
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 10:33:20 am »
RSPB Advisory sheet for farmers on 'Hedgerow Management'
http://www.rspb.org.uk/Images/Hedgerow%20management_tcm9-133204.pdf

....and a bit more info
http://www.rspb.org.uk/forprofessionals/farming/advice/details.aspx?id=204362

As a side note...currently there are no agri-environment schemes (AES) that you can go into, as we are in the middle of a Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) reform (and it's taking ages).  The new AES won't start until January 2016 (at least in the UK but think this is true of all EU countries).  Natural England is the public body that oversees agri-environment schemes in England.  Natural Resources Wales, Scottish Natural Heritage, Northern Ireland Environment Agency covers the rest of the UK.  I'm not sure who does it in France, maybe Contrats Territoriaux d'Exploitation (CTEs)?  It varies a lot from country to country but in England it can be a complex application process and there will be less money for new AES, so it will be quite competitive.  Maybe not worth while for you but worth looking into?

Coeur de Chene

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 07:37:15 pm »
Thanks again Fleecewife,
you've given me an objective to work towards and some really valuable info. What do you have against blackthorn though??
Knowing that I may lose the honeysuckle and roses is really useful- I shall weave it back through rather than trimming it, and have a really good look at what we really have there.
Had a chat with the neighbours today who are interested and open minded...

More good info thanks Harebell, though the CTE doesn't appy to us as we're not an exploitation. In French eyes we just have a big garden and can't use it for an agricultural business and therefore are not eligible for any schemes. Doesn't mean we can't follow the recommendations though and I can research there and point my neighbours in that direction to show what we're trying to do. Could help them in the future too.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 08:35:39 pm »
Blackthorn suckers terrribly, and the thorns are lethal - had a dog nearly lose an eye once when a thorn punctured his eyeball.  It is horrible to trim or lay by hand and does not go easily through a shredder.  It is not good for animals to eat so useless as fodder.  Apart from that, it is lovely stuff ::) , well, it is pretty briefly in the Spring and the sloes are good in gin ;D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 09:56:23 pm »

Ghastly stuff.  Yes it forms thickets rather than hedges, so close-spaced that animals can get stuck in it, and very difficult to clear.  I discovered how painful a scratch from blackthorn is the hard way.  We were laying a very overgrown hedge on some other land, and as you can imagine it wasn't going well, as it was at least 50% blackthorn.  Although I was wearing heavy gloves I got a long scratch on one arm from a thorn.  It kept suppurating over the following weeks, and the scar was still clearly visible over a year later.
I also have a feeling that not only is it not good browsing, but it is actually toxic to stock.  I am not certain at all about that, but I've made sure we have none here.  Does anyone know if it is toxic?

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 10:19:39 pm »
I suspect it is. Whenever I have been wounded by it, there is a bad reaction.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 09:10:44 pm »
I have read somewhere ::) :thinking: that it is not acutely toxic but not good for stock to eat anything from the plum (Prunus) family - which includes blackthorn.  Our sheep do browse the lower parts of the hedges and , so far, have not appeared to suffer from eating blackthorn :fc: .

So, although I feed my sheep all sorts of hedgerow and garden prunings, I never feed any plum or cherry.  They do munch through copious amounts of apple, pear, hazel, willow, cabbage, comfrey and ...wait for  it...nasturtiums ;D .

Nearly time to make sloe gin :yum: :yum:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS