Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Company for the sheep  (Read 1565 times)

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
Company for the sheep
« on: August 31, 2014, 05:25:04 pm »
I just posted a question on the camelid section of the forum, but it also fits here so...
I was reading a link that someone put on about sheep and worm control, all the detailed information, really helpful and educational.
I'm wondering now if just keeping sheep only in the paddocks is unhelpful from a worm burden perspective, and would it make sense to put other livestock in with them, that are complementary. (Or is it complimentary??)
Not sure what that would be, or if we could do it, but I am very interested in doing the best for our animals so would be very glad to learn. I'm pretty sure that when I went on the Donkey Sanctuary day course they mentioned that keeping donkeys and sheep together was a good thing.
Thanks very much.
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

babysham

• Joined Jun 2014
  • Lancashire/Yorkshire Border
Re: Company for the sheep
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 06:02:38 pm »
I prefer grazing sheep along with my horses as they eat different types of grass so excellent for the pasture and stops the land becoming grass sick. I worm strictly as recommended by my Vets and no more. I also put out a garlic lick. I have done worm counts on the horses and always nill or very low so that's why I follow my Vets advice for worming.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS