Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: which mower  (Read 2228 times)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
which mower
« on: August 28, 2014, 09:12:28 pm »
anyone recommend a walk behind self propelled rough cut mower for a bumpy acre of rough grass..... cant justify price of an old sit on ie £400....  maybe an old hayter????/..... anyone use an old allen sythe

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
Re: which mower
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 11:22:14 pm »
I did have an old allen scythe once, and whilst it would go through most things I'm not sure they're any better or faster than a good brushcutter.

I decided to sell mine when I moved here even though I have a lot of land to clear - the land here's very steep and the scythe is quite a cumbersome, heavy thing to manoeuvre. Also, mine was one of the early ones with the clutch 'the wrong way round' - i.e. you had to squeeze the handle to make it stop - so if you got tangled in cut brambles and fell over it would go off on its own, circle round and come back at you.

On the other hand, if you can pick up one at the right price, (mine was £12 - the engine was in pieces in a box) they are effective.

VEG

• Joined Jan 2014
  • Maesteg South Wales
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 10:57:22 pm »
I bought a pedestrian turner flail mower, it had some problems but I replaced the bearings £16 and it now works a treat. http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=44603.msg416962#msg416962
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 10:59:29 pm by VEG »

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 10:07:14 am »
+1 for an old hayter - mine manages our occasionally overgrown paths pretty well.

Zebedee

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 07:31:06 pm »
The Italians have some nice finger-bar machinery, ride-on and walk behind. Their smallholding sector is well catered for machinery and tractor wise as they have it in their culture and there are lots of them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS