Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tups  (Read 3432 times)

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
Tups
« on: August 21, 2014, 01:56:08 pm »
Is it ok to put ram lambs of different  breeds together in a paddock, all the same age ?
There is only one of one breed and two of another, would the one on his own be bullied by the other 2 ?
Or do they just go through the motions of proving whos boss then calm down ? :sheep:

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
Re: Tups
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 02:30:09 pm »
Always been taught if they have to be introduced, don't give them much room when getting acquianted. That way they can't pick up speed and do some damage to each other xx

Ideation

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 02:51:27 pm »
Very good advice! Don't give them a chance to have a run up?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 04:20:17 pm »
Yes, pen them tight while they get used to each others smells.  Then a bit more space, then a bit more, and so on.  Once they have more than about 8' and are behaving, then they're best outside with room for the weaker to get away from the stronger - but still watch for an hour or two just in case.

This for any tups whether the same breed or not.

In terms of tups of a different breed, it depends on the breeds.  Generally don't mix horned and unhorned tups; a Swaledale will kill a Blue-faced Leicester, for instance.

Some breeds are very laid back (eg Ryeland), some just use useless at fighting (Texel, Beltex.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 06:22:34 pm »
Thanks  everyone  :thumbsup:

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 09:54:52 pm »
don't believe Texels are useless at fighting - we've had a few bloody messes!
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Treud na Mara

• Joined Mar 2014
  • East Clyh, Caithness
  • Living the dream in Caithness
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 11:17:37 pm »
Ryelands may not have horns but they certainly have the avoirdupois to put behind their shoulder barges !  :-J
With 1 Angora and now 6 pygmy goats, Jacob & Icelandic sheep, chooks, a cat and my very own Duracell bunny aka BH !

Big Benny Shep

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Skipton
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 01:18:51 pm »
My texels are pretty good at fighting! Caused some hellish damage
BIG Ben
We have 80(ish) texels and texel x suffolks, 10 lleyns, 21NE Mules, 2 Dexters with calves, Monty the labrador, Dottie, Bracken and Poppy the collies and 30 assorted hens.

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 02:04:28 pm »
 :o Think l will just make a new paddock and put the Southdown ram lamb (newbie) in with my very laid back cheviot x boreray
wether lamb same age(hamish) Prefere a quiet life, enough stress just now selling the croft :tired:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS