Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What's up?!?  (Read 1375 times)

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
What's up?!?
« on: August 18, 2014, 11:53:15 am »
Hi, every morning after I feed my pygmy goats, they all lick the shed door, fence posts, trees, and anything that is wooden.  They stand there licking for about 10 minutes as soon as they finish their feed.  Is this normal or not?  I am wondering whether they are missing some minerals or something in their feed, but not sure what they are getting from the wood.  They have a salt lick block which they do use and there feed is a dry goat mix.  They also have access to hay and grass all the time.
Does anyone know what else I should be giving them?
Thanks

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: What's up?!?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 01:56:22 pm »
If you use a red Rockie lick (produced for horses), instead of a plain salt one - it contains copper, a mineral of which goats need a lot more than for example sheep.

However some of mine do chew the wood of their pens, which I put down to boredom sometimes... yours does sound though they are missing something.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 02:05:06 pm »
Mine like to chew at the wood but not lick it. I give them Caprivite in with their food and they have a mineral lick for if they need it.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 09:40:52 pm »
mine love red rockie but need to keep it away from the sheep, mind you they usually demolish a lick in a week or 2 so no danger  :innocent:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 10:03:25 pm »
Sometimes mine lick the wood but it is below the locks and I was guessing some of the minerals had dripped onto it. They sometime have a lick and chew if something is new but I would think mainly boredom if they have access to licks. Having said that, if they are anything like horses, maybe they are just being naughty?!  :excited:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 11:22:21 pm »
Mine chew their gate but I suspect it's an escape attempt.  :roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS