Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Solar Farms and Sheep.  (Read 9686 times)

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
Solar Farms and Sheep.
« on: August 15, 2014, 12:49:32 pm »
We are fighting several applications here in Shropshire ..against SOLAR FARMS. Many of them in the planning documents are making great play of the fact the land will be of continual use for agriculture beneath the panels by being used for grazing sheep. Will in reality the land resort to scrubland beneath the panels though?? Looking for some ideas on reasons to object.
We have about 12 outstanding solar farms ...30-40 acres each outstanding in the planning process here in Shropshire.

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
Re: Solar Farms and Sheep.
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 12:51:19 pm »
How about because you want the lights to go out/leave a load of nuclear waste for your kids to clean up?

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 01:07:51 pm »
I actually have solar panels on my roof and believe that all buildings whether they be farm/industrial buildings should have solar panels.I also believe that on all new houses it should be compulsory to have panels on.However
I do not believe that Grade 3 agricultural land should be used for solar farms .Too many rich landowners round here ..who don't want to farm anymore.
I actually rent 5 hectares for sheep grazing myself and I'm curious as to would the grass beneath the panels be any good for pasture ....given lack of light.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 02:25:07 pm »
People will eventually realise that they can live without quite so much electricity but they can't live without food.

I don't get the grazing sheep under solar panels argument either. You can't use the sun twice so you'll never get very good grass in a field of panels. :S

Hard to make an argument though when society's priorities are all messed up. :(   Good luck!

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 04:07:47 pm »
I can see the panels will provide a lot of shelter/shade for the sheep....but won't they reduce these areas to bare patches .What happens about any spraying for thistles...most of these farms around here are circa 30 acres..does it have to be done by hand?
Think the applicants for these farms are just paying lip service to the agricultural bit....does it depend on the gaps between the panels....the quality of the grazing that is!I suppose a lot of free grazing might become available but would the quality be any good. There is talk about special grass mixtures for solar panel farms but the main feature seems to be they don't grow much...ie low maintainance.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 04:55:12 pm »
I've not researched it so I'm not really in a position of strength but it sounds like slipper farming to me. But I might be wrong.

Does it depend on how far above the ground the panels are?

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 06:25:39 pm »
So what's wrong with fields covered in beautiful crystal black? None of those polluting farm noises, stinking dung or noxious chemicals.. just serene, friendly, silent energy.

..just for the sake of controversy.

Porterlauren

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 06:53:05 pm »
Always make me laugh the whole NIMBY.

What's worse. . . . Solar farms? Wind farms?

Or Fracking, coal fired power stations, nuclear power stations . . .

For the record, there are a few places around me that run sheep in and amongst the panels. They do well, and the areas within the fences are havens for wildlife.

The panels are at an angle so light gets to the underneath.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 06:55:23 pm by Porterlauren »

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 07:06:18 pm »
what made you think the solar farm was next to my property? I've got an application for a Mod Warehouse on a 50 acre field in front of me...(with a height of 35metres).The warehouse will occupy 30 acres of that field.I would love a solar panel on that field instead......not sure my children would be keen as they are going to be the ones who will be paying for it in future taxation!!!
Anyway it's all academic because the government is running out of money to subsidize them and the planning window is closing.
The solar farm in question in next to Acton Scott...(the Victorian Farm that use to be on TV) I have been looking at all these idyllic pictures on google  of sheep under panels and I just wonder what they will be looking like in a few years time....

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 07:51:44 pm »
I have looked at grazing under solar panels and the only reason I haven't done it is that the sites offered have been too far away to be of any use
I have seen sheep grazing under panels and it seems to be a win-win situation----the farmers gets the solar farm and the grazier gets to graze his sheep for free (or a very small fee) which means that there is no need for topping/strimming
Usually there is good fencing for security and a frequent human presence which means good observation for welfare

One site I saw had been managed this way for 3 years and I saw no problems with grass growth---the panels do not shade the grass all the time

If anyone has a solar site that wants grazing in the Wilts/Somerset/Dorset areas please let me know  :)

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 10:30:32 pm »
Well the landowner is making so much money from the panels...£1000 per acre....the grazing should be  free.

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 11:09:54 pm »
Well the landowner is making so much money from the panels...£1000 per acre....the grazing should be  free.

I think in many cases it is free----same as much HLS land---the landowner has got his income and just needs to comply with the grazing requirements & it is easier to get a professional grazier in to do the job than invest capital in something he is not really interested in 

I understand that some people don't like solar farms and it seems more sense to me to cover buildings with panels rather than use prime agricultural land that could otherwise be ploughed ---but I would rather solar than a coal or nuclear power station

Of course the best option is that we stop using so much power

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 08:05:53 am »

So thats the problem! Someone is going to get paid more than you from solar!!

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 08:29:49 am »

So thats the problem! Someone is going to get paid more than you from solar!!

;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2014, 09:29:24 am »
Well all I was trying to establish was if the pasture would deteriote under the panels...because the "Save
South Shropshire Campaign" (they are fighting two large scale farms at Caynham (by Ludlow) and Acton Scott near Church Stretton) have stated.in their objections online that the pasture will revert to scrub after a few years.
I think this in probably wrong now thanks to all your feedback and it's a win-win for the grazier.
The Acton Scott solar farm proposal is on the Acton Farm estate and the risk is that it will affect the Museum and it's future viability as a tourist attraction. Location...location..location.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS