Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: will they kill my chicks?  (Read 3075 times)

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
will they kill my chicks?
« on: August 01, 2014, 11:31:22 am »
My chicks are now over 3 weeks old and are still in a little run with their mum. I thought I might let them out for a bit today so opened the door. Mum was really keen to get out and have a scratch round in my flower bed and the chicks all stuck close to her.

But one of my other hens came over to investigate and started pecking the chicks quite violently. I shoo'd her away but if I didn't stop her she would come back and do it again. Mum didn't try to protect her chicks from the other hens at all, not even growling at them or anything. Eventually she took them back in the run and I shut them back up.

Now I don't know if the pecking was just pecking order pecking or if the hen will actually kill the chicks? When will they be big enough to withstand this sort of behaviour?

My flock can see mum and babies through the run and have done since they hatched.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: will they kill my chicks?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 01:30:34 pm »
I don't know much about poultry but I'd guess they are too wee yet.  Is there any reason to let them out?  Could you give Mum and chicks a bit more room instead?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 03:13:20 pm »
There is no real reason to let them out really, they have enough room in their run at the moment. I wanted mum to be the one to take them out and about so I wanted to let them out before she started laying again.

I will leave it a bit longer but I would be interested to know if this other hen would actually kill them and whether this is normal behaviour. I expected it to go along better considering they have been able to see each other the whole time.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 04:26:18 pm »
I think there is a strong chance she'd at least hurt them. At 3 weeks they are very vulnerable.  The broody may not start laying for a couple of weeks or more yet anyway.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 04:43:21 pm »
I think mine were 6 or 7 weeks before I let them out with mum and even then it was carefully supervised. Are the other hens able to go upto the pen with the chicks in? It would help to get them used to each other.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 04:51:54 pm »
Yeah, the pen is in my garden which my other hens free range in so they have seen each other the whole time. I'll give it another few weeks I think and hope for a better reaction next time.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 05:35:30 pm »
Don't let them out until about 6 weeks, seems harsh but the other hens will peck them and when they are that wee a peck or two can just kill them.  Good chance too that mum will fight quite viciously with other hens to protect her brood.

Best to keep them in - cut a sod of turf and put it in with them so mum can show her pecking grass and scratching for worms skills in front of her apprentices  ;)
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 09:40:51 pm »
I can't remember when I let mine out but around 6 weeks and the mums are all savage and chase off the other hens.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 07:32:48 am »
I've let mine out younger, but only with a broody and I've never seen another of my hens go for little chicks and mums always kept everyone else at a distance. Is this her first time?

In your case, much better to be safe than sorry!

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 08:42:23 am »
Yeah it is her first time, she's done fantastic in every other way but I wonder if she got caught up in her first scrape through the mud and wasn't paying as much attention to her chicks as usual. I'll not risk it again for another few weeks, but to be safe than sorry.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS