Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Time to move Mum?  (Read 1744 times)

bumpkins

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Petherton, Somerset
  • Don't wait for your ship to come in-swim out to it
Time to move Mum?
« on: July 26, 2014, 08:03:06 am »
Hi everyone - Our chicks are now 7 weeks old and just going over to growers pellets.  Their Mum has done a fantastic job with them but is now looking a bit shabby.  I give her extras like mealworms etc, but is there a time when she should be going back with the other hens?  At the moment she and the chicks are in a very large pen next to the main chicken area so they have loads of space, grass etc to enjoy.  She has 3 chicks 2 of whom hatched a few days prematurely as she stood on the eggs!  They are catching up very fast now though, but are still a bit small for their age.  I'm a bit worried about Mum although she is showing no signs of wanting to go back with the 'big girls', - she is still being a totally dedicated mum.  Would you just leave her in with her :thinking babies?  :thinking:

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Time to move Mum?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 08:23:15 am »
I'm not very experienced, having only had one set of chicks and a broody on ducklings. In both cases mum seemed to know when the time came, taking less interest in the babies and more keen in being with the other girls.

With the ducklings that happened much more quickly than it did with the chicks. I can't remember the exact time but am sure it was longer than 7 weeks.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 09:34:46 am »
I just leave them til mum gives up chicks. But at seven weeks they won't need her if you want to get her back into lay sooner.

bumpkins

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 10:43:37 am »
Thanks - I've just been out there and she's still definitely superglued to those babies.  I would just cause heartache all round if I forced her to go out with the big girls.  I'm not worried about her going back into lay - I have 13 others all laying well.  She's looking so scraggy though and I can't understand why she still feels she needs to pull out her feathers for them which is what she's doing (I watched her do it...for them to lie on!)  If only I could stop her doing that it would help. ::)
Thanks everyone.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 11:05:43 am »
it takes a lot out of them and she may well be coming into moult as well. watch she doesn't get bullied when you put her back. they sit for three weeks and then are (generally) in a small run being mum-you know what happens to us when we are bedridden for a bit :) I was surprised at how much it took out of my first one. they brood, moult and all of a sudden its winter.

the chicks will be fine now and she'll no doubt be fine whatever you decide :) she may well pick up when put onto growers-have they been on crumb?

bumpkins

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 02:19:55 pm »
Of course!  It didn't occur to me that she might be due for a moult!.  I've seen her pull out feathers for the babies, but it doesn't really account for the amount that's lying around.  They have all been on chick crumb although I've been hand feeding her other things to try and perk her up.  Thanks for that - it all makes sense.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS