Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Isn't it great....update with pics  (Read 6877 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Isn't it great....update with pics
« on: July 25, 2014, 07:24:47 pm »
Isn't it great when you've got your hay in, all stacked and safe, and your winter feed assured?   We've had the best haymaking weather we've ever had since we started making hay here 19 years ago.  No rush, wall to wall sunshine, light breeze, hardly any dew.  We got more bales off our little meadow than in any previous year.  About a month ago there was also a suitable opportunity to make the hay, but there wasn't enough bulk to it, so we took the risk and waited.  In most years here you have one weather window per year, so it was a risk to wait but it's paid off well.  A lovely friend even came to help us cart and stack it and has gone away with bags of eateable goodies.  Now it's all stored away, sweet smelling and well made, and our sheep will eat well this winter.

I hope everyone else has had the same great haymaking year.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 10:13:31 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

madcat

• Joined Mar 2014
Re: Isn't it great....
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 08:58:00 pm »
  :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:: pleased for you and your sheep. It's a lovely summer.  :sunshine:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 09:02:28 pm »
Great stuff, FW  ;D

Similar story here, although we've grabbed a few fieldsworth of silage earlier on just to be on the safe side.  We've got more big round bales of hay than we've ever had  :excited:.  Now we want some more nice weather to get a couple of nearby fields into small square bales; that'd be the icing on the cake.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 09:22:27 pm »
Wish I could say the same. We are nearly out of goat food and my supplier has had banking trouble which is now sorted but they have to wait a couple of weeks before their suppliers can deliver. I am on my last bale of hay - not even enough to fill a big rack and it could be another week before I can get any delivered.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 09:43:24 pm »
Oh no MGM.  If only you were closer you could have some of mine, some willow too if that would help eek out the hay.  Is there nowhere else you can buy a bale or two?

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 06:44:35 pm »
Thanks, FW. If I get desperate, I'm sure the farm will let me pick one up to keep me going. My big concern is not being able to get any of the other feed. I use Allen and Page Dairy Goat Mix and thought I had a spare bag but the people who looked after the goats while I was away had opened it and put half into the bin that I take the days' feed from so I had less than a half bag. I'm upped the amount of sugar beet (which I did manage to get a bag of) and cut down on the Dairy Goat. I am also right out of Graze On and they were getting through four buckets of that a day. A friend is planning to clear her jungle garden today and let me have the contents for them so that will do them for green stuff. My roses are getting a good pruning as well. Yesterday they demolished a rowan sapling that was cut down for them.

I daresay we'll manage but it's knowing what to give them in place of the Dairy Mix. I have ordered a bag from Allen and Page but that will take a few days to get here (and cost a fortune in carriage). I don't know anyone else that uses is and you know what goats are like if you give them something different.

Sorry to bring down your lovely positive post. I'm delighted for you and all the others who have managed to gather in your hay in this glorious weather.  :thumbsup:

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 07:20:24 pm »
Well done, theres no better feeling than seeing your hay all safe and sound, oh and the smell, nothing beats it  :excited:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 09:26:25 pm »
That was a perfect story Fleece.  I was with you on every word and had lovely pictures in my head reading it.  Ahh that did me good.  Thanks.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 10:10:49 pm »

Here are a couple of pics of our hay coming in.  The tractor is a David Brown 995, the baler a New Holland 276. The Landrover is a 1952 80" which we brought back from NZ, and the trailer is our sheep trailer doubling up for other duties, complete with Mr F and friend in their wurzel hats, plus Lucy and Rip (can't see Rip but they both spent all day in the back of Kiwi the Landy)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Re: Isn't it great....update with pics
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 11:45:41 pm »
Satisfied workforce and a lovely day all round, you can't beat that  ;D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 04:45:45 pm »
My Mandy the Landy is a youngster then series 3 (74) should be another 20 years in her - yippie. Fantastic pics Fleece wife. We don't do our own hay but bartered a few sheep for a load and helped my neighbour and got another load so we're all stacked up too - it's a god feeling like the coal bunker/log store being full.  :thumbsup:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 05:01:50 pm »

......and our nice neighbour gets very excited when his silage pit is finally full and covered  ;D

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 06:26:07 pm »
Lovely photos ;D .  Your baler looks about the same vintage as the one we use.  It is a lovely feeling seeing it all stacked safely in the barn.  Always want to squeeze in a few more bales  - just in case...

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 06:36:15 pm »
We did our hay last week as well  :excited:
Our neighbour's grandson cut it on Sunday, then we spread it several times, intending to bale on Tuesday..... but there was one raincloud in the whole of Cornwall on Tues morning and it was right over our field  :gloomy:
We spread again a couple of times then 'drammed 'up (cornish for rowing up!) on Weds, and baled in the afternoon. We collected all the bales off the field and stacked them in the leanto area of our barn, all done by 8.30pm. We got 300 bales from 2.5 acres  :thumbsup:
I then managed to get a single outlet for all the bales  :trophy:  - we are keeping about 20 for our chickens, pigs and maybe sheep if we get 6 or so for the winter  :excited:  How many bales would I need for 6 sheep BTW?

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 10:22:28 pm »
Lovely pictures, FW and well done on making hay while the sun shone.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS