Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: corrugated iron for hen house roof  (Read 1913 times)

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
corrugated iron for hen house roof
« on: July 22, 2014, 09:40:00 am »
bad idea? too noisy? building new henhouse from a packing crate. Have a board for roof and some corrugated iron sheets, kindly given to me by a TASer :) just wondered if the noise would be annoying for them-although all mine have got used to tarps.
TIA :)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: corrugated iron for hen house roof
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 09:45:55 am »
Nothing wrong with the noise IMHO, but it will get pretty cold in winter, and will suffer badly with condensation (hens put out an awful lot of moisture overnight, so your ventilation would have to be really really good so as not to have condensation dripping on them).

How about fixing a sheet of ply or Sterling Board as the roof, then fixing the wrinkly tin on top of that?  Just a thought!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 09:57:14 am »
sorry Womble, should have explained myself better-have some ply for roof, wanting to stick corrugated iron on top of that :) was going to bolt it on and then have a large, hinged back door for cleaning, rather than a lift up roof.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 10:12:42 am »
Oh, that will be fine then!

Just make sure the roof is high enough that you don't catch your head on it when you go to clean them out. Also, this is probably teaching my Grandmother, but if you want to make life easy for yourself, get a packet of self-drilling Tek screws, and the relevant power driver head. No need to pre-drill holes in the wrinkly tin, just centre punch it along the high bit of the ridge to stop the screw from sliding about, then and screw straight through into the wood below. The integral washer on the tek screw will then seal everything automatically  :thumbsup: .

« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 11:27:40 am by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 10:56:53 am »
awesome-thanks for advice :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS