Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bubbelgum tags  (Read 4524 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Bubbelgum tags
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2014, 11:25:49 pm »
Just one comment on timing of tagging - speaking as one who has spent the morning removing some tags from hoggs ears because the flies had been at them  :rant:

We are decided to be more diligent about tagging keeping ewe lambs in October - well before the cold weather hits but well after the fly season.  And / or to just spray heads with Crovect routinely in fly weather in young sheep recently tagged.

I rarely comment about tags because the whole thing makes me so mad  :furious: :-X
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 12:26:49 pm »
I didn't know either that unused tags had to be recorded.
Do I have to record an unused tag every time the sequence is missed? (say if a tag was not applied correctly or broke etc?
        When you buy new tags the numbers are recorded on a national database, if you were then subject to  an audit  ,the official would have  a list of all tags bought ,  numbers of all sheep that have left the holding ,  you will have a record of all tags applied  and any tags still unused you can show them  , so all numbers should be accountable .  if you have an unused tag out of sequence this is not a problem since it can still be used later but a damaged tag can never be reused so must be recorded

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 10:42:31 pm »
Thanks for all the clarifications and reassurances.
I'll still have a few more sleepless nights over that tagging business though...
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS