Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lyme Disease......?  (Read 13801 times)

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
Re: Lyme Disease......?
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2014, 01:27:31 pm »
I seem to remember reading that ivermectin is used in the third wold on humans to treat for all manner of parasites. Not that I'll be self dosing, but that would knock off tick too right?!

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2014, 01:41:45 pm »
A word of caution about doxycycline, it can cause skin sun sensitivity with rashes, blisters and skin peeling off. My daughter was taking it when in a malarial area in Africa, and her hands were so bad she risked malaria rather than carrying in her prophylaxis. She, of course, only told me about this when she got back! And assured me the malaria risk was low where she was.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2014, 12:17:57 am »
the doctor warned about the skin sensitivity problems at the time but due to my pomphylx eczema kicking off with all the stress at the same time, I'm a physical wreck and should probably be either segregated or culled  :roflanim:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2014, 10:28:37 pm »
Don't go for the second option. We'd miss you.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2014, 10:39:53 pm »
ach no danger of that MGofM too much to do but at least with this years kidding finally over that's one thing I can stop worrying about  :relief:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2014, 09:44:06 pm »
OH had it. The GP was ever so sceptical (why on earth I wonder...), but he had flu-like symptoms and definitely some kind of vertigo/loss of balance. He improved on the prescription drug. I hope all goes well for you as the aftermath can be quite nasty if not treated early. Don't let the GP fob you off with "it's so rare in our area...blablabla"  :bouquet: :&>

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2014, 01:07:51 am »
there was actually a mention of the recent increase in Lyme's disease in our local coucil's minutes this week!! probably helped by me knowing the chairperson quite well so hopefully there will be some more info etc spread about. They were talking about deer fencing around play parks etc, but as I doubt if my butt would fit in the swing these days I guess its not relevant to me  ;D

midtown

• Joined Oct 2013
  • English Lake District
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2014, 02:09:15 pm »
Deer fencing may keep the deer out, but I've never come across a fence which will halt ticks! :roflanim:
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.  ~Douglas Adams

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2014, 02:35:03 pm »
well seeing as its the deer that are the carriers of the deer ticks which are infected with Lyme disease it makes sense to me  ???

midtown

• Joined Oct 2013
  • English Lake District
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2014, 05:29:03 pm »
What you're referring to as the deer tick (Ixodes ricinus) is commonly known as the 'sheep' or 'woodland tick', and yes, deer do carry ticks as can a range of other mammals including domestic animals.

The life cycle is such that it is most likely to be the tick in its nymph stage which will be the one in search of a host. From its development from larva to nymph stage, it'll move from the litter layer of undergrowth, to find vegetation of a suitable height and await a passing food source from which to attach itself and feed.
During such movement, the deer fence will provide no defence whatsoever especially if the undergrowth is allowed to grow unchecked on both sides of the fence!

Back in the late 90's I was involved in one of the first projects collecting ticks for laboratory investigation. A high proportion of the nymphs collected came from within fenced enclosures where deer were excluded.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.  ~Douglas Adams

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2014, 07:37:30 pm »
What you're referring to as the deer tick (Ixodes ricinus) is commonly known as the 'sheep' or 'woodland tick', and yes, deer do carry ticks as can a range of other mammals including domestic animals.

The life cycle is such that it is most likely to be the tick in its nymph stage which will be the one in search of a host. From its development from larva to nymph stage, it'll move from the litter layer of undergrowth, to find vegetation of a suitable height and await a passing food source from which to attach itself and feed.
During such movement, the deer fence will provide no defence whatsoever especially if the undergrowth is allowed to grow unchecked on both sides of the fence!

Back in the late 90's I was involved in one of the first projects collecting ticks for laboratory investigation. A high proportion of the nymphs collected came from within fenced enclosures where deer were excluded.

can I pass that info onto our council members? Shame if they are essentially going to wasted council money on something that won't actually help all that much?

midtown

• Joined Oct 2013
  • English Lake District
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2014, 11:23:22 pm »
can I pass that info onto our council members? Shame if they are essentially going to wasted council money on something that won't actually help all that much?
Yes of course FRH. :thumbsup:
Please don't hesitate to ask if I can help further.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS