Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Very sad day  (Read 2431 times)

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
Very sad day
« on: June 17, 2014, 02:35:30 pm »
Totally gutted.  Just had to have my gorgeous Annabell shot.  Although all her blood tests came back negative, she has been unable to fight the virus giving her warts and they have been rapidly increasing.  We have been fighting a losing battle with flies, and poor girl was getting more and more agitated.  Have to say I am heartbroken.  Found that far harder than any of my horses I have had to shoot.   :(

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
Re: Very sad day
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 02:40:45 pm »
Really sorry to hear of your loss - a horrible day for you.  :hug:  :bouquet: RIP Annabell.  :'(

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 02:57:20 pm »
How awful - my heart goes out to you.  :hug: :hug: :hug:

I can't believe that warts could lead to this - mine have all had a few warts on their udders as heifers, but they've disappeared whne they come into milk. In fact I was checking all their udders today.

So, so sorry - I know how I'd feel.  :'(

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 04:52:15 pm »
Ohh trish  :hug: :hug: :hug:.  What a horrible thing to have to have done.  My heart goes out to you.   :bouquet: At least Annabell is at peace now.  You tried everything you could but in the end this was the kindest thing you could do for her.  Sending you a virtual hug and a shoulder to cry on  :hug: :-*
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 06:42:44 pm »
How awful  :hug:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 06:53:11 pm »
 :bouquet: so sorry

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 07:39:10 pm »
how very sad. so sorry  :hug:
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

renee

• Joined Jan 2013
  • jämtland
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 07:52:34 pm »
What a hard decision to make. As the others say, she is at peace now. best wishes  :bouquet:

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 09:00:49 pm »
Thank you for all your kind words, dont know what these Jersey girls have but it does tug at your heart strings.

My OH very kindly shot her and dealt with everything so she is now hanging in our cold store and will fill my freezer.  It actually makes it a bit easier knowing that she hasnt been wasted, it just wasnt the job intended, she was meant to be one of my breeding girls.

We knew we had made the right decision as he disected the football sized warts on her udder and the teats were totally deformed by the warts.  Already fly eggs in amongst the cauliflower shaped warts.

Before anyone worries, we did confirm with the vet that the wart virus was ok for human consumption!  Sadly her hide was too badly damaged on her neck and chest by the warts.

A very tough day when one of your girls has to go, especially when being slaughter for meat wasnt the intention for her.  :(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS