Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What do you want in an article on spinning?  (Read 7845 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
What do you want in an article on spinning?
« on: May 26, 2014, 01:03:56 pm »

SallyintNorth  :wave: and I have been asked to write up a spinning info bit for the TAS website.

It would be helpful to get some idea from those of you who are beginner spinners, as well as those with more experience, just what would be helpful to include.  I can remember back a bit to when I first started, but not the details of exactly what was helpful, and what I would have liked to know if I could have found the info (this was way back before all those great youtube clips).

Please either put your ideas here or pm either Sally or me. Looking forward to your help.  :spin:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: What do you want in an article on spinning?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 04:10:31 pm »
Do you want to start with the fleece? I think it would be useful to talk about choosing a fleece and sorting it. I for one am reluctant to throw away too much but that's to my own cost because I end up trying to use some of the nasty bits.
When you first start out you don't realise how much those bits hinder your spinning, just thinking that the problem is because you aren't a very good spinner.

Washing the fleece comes up quite a bit too so a piece on that would be helpful.

Carding of course and then spinning woolen/worsted yarns. I still don't understand this.

S and Z twists and plying.

Well, I think that's enough for a book rather than an article.

Best of luck with it

« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 06:18:53 pm by Bionic »
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 05:36:13 pm »
Brilliant, Sally, thanks very much.  This is exactly the sort of input we need :)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 05:36:31 pm »
i would love to spin but have no knowledge except for watching other people. so a basic "how to spin - idiots guide) would be good.

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 06:00:21 pm »
You have been really helpful to me whilst I am learning, so a review of what you have told me I am sure will encourage others!

It would also be great to see some examples of what you are doing with the wool you spin, or what you achieve after you have spun (colours, mixing etc)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 10:39:39 pm »
I would like to see something about adjusting the tension and when you should do it. Also, I know nothing about the difference between Scotch tension and double drive so if you could explain that at idiot's level it would be useful.

I'm looking forward to seeing this article.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 11:58:49 pm »

Some great ideas, thank you  :sunshine:  Please keep them coming.

I can already see a bit about how to shape the article and how to divide things between Sally and me.  We don't live close together so will have to each write some parts and exchange info that way, then stick the bits together.

I definitely won't be doing worsted and long draw woollen spinning  ;D. It's not that I don't spin worsted, but my way is a bit self taught, and I've never felt my fleece prep is good enough for long draw....so that's definitely one of your bits Sally  :D  Wheels too and how to adjust.  I can do raw fleece to spinnable prep, but be prepared - for me fleece begins way back with breeds, animal health and pasture management  ;D

It sounds as if we should divide it up into named sections or it will be muddled.  How about fleece; spindles and wheels; spinning how to, mostly basic including plying, but extending a bit into fancy yarns; how to wash, finish, dye yarn.

Something like that?  I think Rosemary will be asking someone else to write about knitting, weaving, peg looms, rag rugs etc.  Not sure where felting goes.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 12:06:59 am »
I am looking forward to reading - and learning from - fleece beginning with pasture management :)

I can't do rolags good enough for longdraw yet either, though I continue to improve and am sure I will get there.  I can certainly write about woollen vs worstead prep and spinning.

Yes, happy to do the wheels and how to maintain / adjust them.

Dyeing is a huge subject all on its own.  I have already written up stovetop rainbow dyeing, using both dry powder dye and using dye stock solutions, and dyeing in a steamer, on Ravelry, so that can be cut and pasted.  I haven't done any natural dyeing yet (it's very much on the cards for this year) so perhaps that could be one of your sections?

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 12:21:06 am »
Mmm - natural dyeing would need loads of research as I've not had much success because of my iron-y water - although that in itself is worth mentioning.  Lets leave that til the end when we've both grown some plants and used them successfully, and concentrate on chemical dyes.  I think we probably both have bits to contribute for that.

I'm not sure how much space Dan and Rosemary have for pics on the website, so maybe we will have to ration ourselves there, but I do think 'a picture saves a thousand words', especially when describing techniques.

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 07:09:41 am »
I also would like to get some info about the fleece processing stage too. Then on to how to get started with spinning. How to decide what ply to spin etc. Different spinning methods and their results would be good, for example, can you get the same results from a drop spindle as a spinningwheel or is it something totally different?
Also a little buying advice would be good, what beginners should look for when purchasing raw fleece and important equipment such as a spinning wheel.

I'm really looking forward to reading the article, its really good of you both

madcat

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 05:14:47 pm »
I seem to have problems with tension so would welcome some advice.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 06:02:14 pm »
As a novice, I am not sure about staple lengths of different types of fleece. A few words on that would be useful.thank you both for doing this. I do quite a lot of knitting and would be happy to cowrite an article on knitting the yarn we are going to be busy spinning!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 11:15:33 pm »
This looks to becoming a really long article. I'm sure you would be better turning it into a book with, maybe, some excerpts for an article.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 12:44:41 am »
This looks to becoming a really long article. I'm sure you would be better turning it into a book with, maybe, some excerpts for an article.

I did start to write a spinning book once but didn't like the publishers terms so I withdrew  ::)  Which reminds me - I could crib some bits from that....

Sally and I have been discussing length, which of course can't be too long or it will take over the whole of the TAS website  ;D so our thinking is that we should keep it fairly simple and stick to the basics for beginners, then indicate which more advanced directions one could go, and do a series of links to good places for further info, with us tying  them together.  Many of the links would be to past bits on TAS, Ravelry and youtube.

Does this sound like an approach which would work?  I agree MGM that we could end up with an epistle  :spin:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2014, 12:47:50 am »
As a novice, I am not sure about staple lengths of different types of fleece. A few words on that would be useful.thank you both for doing this. I do quite a lot of knitting and would be happy to cowrite an article on knitting the yarn we are going to be busy spinning!

Thank you Louise.  I will pm you  :knit:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS