Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: feeding advice  (Read 2992 times)

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
feeding advice
« on: May 01, 2014, 10:51:09 am »
Yet another question!!   :innocent:

Daisy calved 2 weeks ago, has her calf and 1 add-on.  She is on quite poor grazing with an armful of hay morning and night.  I have just moved my other 3 heifers across the farm onto some good grazing and decided not to put Daisy and her wee calves back in with the other 3 as they are very boisterous at the moment and I can see an accident happening if i put the calves in with them.  I am also taking a pint of milk a day off Daisy ( oh my god, never tasted milk like it  :excited:) so keeping her close to home is handy. I like to give her a feed whilst i milk her and she has come to expect something to eat morning and evening! 

She is getting half a bucket of veg peelings everyday and a scoop of dairy nuts, plus and armful of hay morning and evening. 

Producing milk very well, udder is full before calves feed and quite saggy after they have fed.  She looks quite ribby. 

Suggestions on what she should be on feed wise please.  Many thanks.  :)

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
Re: feeding advice
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 10:56:07 am »
oh and for those that dont know, Daisy is a Jersey!  :innocent:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 11:32:51 am »
In this pic, taken about 6 weeks after calving, Plenty in the foreground looks quite plump as she suckles Cherry; Hillie beyond (with three suckling) is showing more rib.

As the calves grow and demand more, the cows will get more ribby still.  (Must take a more up-to-date pic!)

As a rule of thumb, when the grass is poor I give hay / silage ad lib plus roughly 1kg (of 18% for producing milk) for every 3L I want over and above feeding herself and her own calf.  I reckon on a very young calf drinking about a gallon( (4.5L) a day, rising to 6L at 6 weeks.  So at the beginning of lactation, on poor grass, with an extra calf and me wanting 2L for the house, I give 2kg cake per day. 

However, I can reduce the cake as the grass comes good.  In a good summer, mine can do two calves with nothing extra.  If I want milk for the house (I always take a couple of litres), or need them to rear additional calves (more than two apiece), then I will need to supplement.  Or of course if the grass isn't growing well.

With practise, you will soon see in her bag and in the calves whether she needs you to give her more.

You absolutely want the bag to swing empty after the calves have had breakfast - they're hungry after being kept off her overnight and will keep going until they burst if you don't stop them! - so the trick is to make sure she doesn't have too much for them first thing.  While you are getting the hang of it, you may sometimes need to milk off more than your 1pt in order to not leave too much for the calves ;)

If they are still concave, and seeming desperate for more milk when her bag is empty, then they need a bit more.  If they are nice and plump but still seeking milk (although with no real urgency), that's spot on.  If they are so full they literally can't squeeze another drop down their throats, that's too much. 

In the pic, Cherry in the foreground is on the verge of overfed ;), Larry the black-and-white Hereford beyond could do with just a little more. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 04:49:49 pm »
thanks Sally, Daisy has the 2 calves with her 24/7.  They do tend to have their set feeding times though, they dont pick away at her constantly, they seem to have 4 major feeds a day, very organised my calves are!! No idea how much they feed over night though!! 

Calves are looking perfect weight wise, neither fat nor tucked up.  I dont think Daisy is starving, she just wraps me round her little hoof and gives me that feed me look!! I take milk from her daily when i see her bag is full, this then wakes the calves up to feeding time and i am milking away with help from 2 calves!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 05:05:35 pm »
Ok, so on the other end of the scale, if your cow is wanting feeding and you don't think she needs that much cake (and anyone owned by a Jersey knows perfectly well that there is no point even discussing not giving a Jersey what she is asking for ;) :hugcow:), then one trick I have discovered is using a 16% cake and mixing it with any or all of soaked sugar beet, molassed chaff and/or alfalfa (all products designed for the same purpose - bulking up a feed in a healthy and appetising way - but designed for horses, lol.)  And veg peelings ditto, which you are already doing.

You may find that as the calves grow and take more, you do need to exclude them from her overnight so you can take your milk for the house in the morning. 

I did take a pic of them this morning for you.  Their own calves are 9 weeks old now.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 05:09:21 pm by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

trish.farm

• Joined Feb 2014
  • hampshire
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 06:19:41 pm »
Yep its that Jersey "my mum will give me what i ask for" way!! :love:

I cant say no to her!!  If i can resize my photos so they will attach on here i will do so, then you can say fat, perfect or too skinny!! 

She looks about inbetween you 2 girls at the moment! My problem is that my other 3 heifers look amazing right now and compared to them she looks skinny, but then she has just given birth and is feeding 2 calves!!  My work is seriously being affected by the hours i spend everyday either giving Daisy cuddles or just sat staring at her and her calves.  There cant be anything more emotionally rewarding than a Jersey cow!!  (seriously worrying about my mental state now!)  :roflanim:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 06:25:02 pm »
its lovely reading your posts, shes a very lucky cow to be so loved  :love: :love:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 07:28:21 pm »
There cant be anything more emotionally rewarding than a Jersey cow!!  (seriously worrying about my mental state now!)  :roflanim:

I often think about how I could possibly manage without my lovely animals... and the ones I think I could least do without are the Jerseys and my collie bitch.

John Seymour, in the smallholders bible, said that if a man had a Jersey cow he had no need of a wife.  So I think you and I have a way to go before we have to worry about our attachment to our Jerseys!  lol

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS