Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Our lambing 2014  (Read 5715 times)

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
Our lambing 2014
« on: April 24, 2014, 01:13:55 pm »
As some of you my know my lambing was masked by a dog attack about a month before lambing. One of the ewes attacked was an in lamb sheltand and had lost her ear and was in a very bad way, well last weekend she lambed a beautiful ram lamb (my first and only Shetland lamb) He Is sold to a friend to go and breed and I'm glad too as both mum and lamb did very well to be with us now!! Pic below of our one eared wonder and her ram lamb.... what I his colour?

sorry for this being a little late, lambing started a week early with our bought in pedigree charollais and I must say we were slightly disappointed. we lost three lambs to sbv (sold to us as vaccinated), we had a few legs that we had to splint (now as right as rain) and the lambs are growing well. Our crossbred ewes lambed well with a few lambs coming out incorrect but they were quickly sorted.

started to turn out and my world has been completely turned upside down. Over four days I've lost two animals :( I lost a last years lamb killed by a dog and had two more sheep attacked and then four days later I turn up to the grazing to find a pair of boxer's and a badly mauled ewe, she was put down as her face was beyond repair.  Lamb has finally accepted me after a 7 day battle!!

It has been a sad few weeks and more to come I'm sure but I will keep my  :fc: that we get justice. will keep you all posted as the owner is being questioned over the next few days.

Thanks to all who has helped me and supported me!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Our lambing 2014
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 01:24:05 pm »
I can't imagine what it has been like to go through some of the heartache that you have had in the last few weeks, but at least now you have some lovely lambs and your one eared wonder looks very pleased with herself.
Perhaps the owner of the dogs should have seen the devastation his animals caused. Fingers crossed for you too that it all gets sorted, although nothing can bring the animals back that you have lost.  :hug:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Me

• Joined Feb 2014
  • Wild West
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 02:15:10 pm »
Wow. That's terrible, I really feel for you.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 02:20:03 pm »
The dog owners must be made to see the mauled sheep.  :fc: that you get justice.

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 03:07:58 pm »
I can confirm that the owner is being shown all photos from all three attacks in the interview whislt being questioned as they have all been attacked in the sane mannor.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 03:43:19 pm »
time to send them a huge bill for damages and buy a shotgun with the proceeds!!!

i have dogs but if one touched a sheep or any other livestock it would be gone...

grrrr

well done to mrs 1 ear on her baby though!!!

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 04:07:41 pm »
What a nightmare HF, Its getting all too common dogs attacking sheep, lets hope something will be done and soon.
Im afraid if l caught anybodys dog attacking my sheep or any of my animals it would be 'goodnight'for it.
Shame as its not the dogs fault its the owners. Your lambies are beautiful  :love:  :thumbsup:

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 04:14:45 pm »
 :hug: for you and Picasso :sheep: :hugsheep:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 05:26:52 pm »
 :hug:

Lovely pics, thanks for sharing  :-* - and thanks for sharing the bad stuff too.   :bouquet:  I know you will keep us posted on the outcome of that.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

madcat

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 05:33:10 pm »
Your lambs look lovely and Mrs One Ear seems to be doing a grand job in spite of all that's happened. 

To be honest sheep chasing dogs should be put down , likewise dogs that attack and kill other domestic animals and pets. Dogs get away with too much and get too many chances.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 07:24:54 pm »
What an awful time you've had  :hug:

Mrs Van Gogh has produced a very nice lamb there - her cute little fella is a grey katmoget  :thumbsup:

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 07:52:09 pm »
Glad your special lady managed to hang on to her lamb, what a fab lad he is  :love:

Love the middle piccie too, could go to a photo competition.

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 08:36:15 pm »
What a dreadful time but a wonderful ending for Mrs Van Gogh.

I do hope you get justice. Ultimately the dog just has to be destroyed and yes, it is a real shame that it is the owners fault but the dog will have to face the punishment. Sadly if the owner is fighting this rather than doing the sensible thing and preventing it happening in the first place or the honourable thing and having the dog destroyed or rehomed away from livestock then I suspect they will act like they are the victim in all this.  :rant:

Glad your lad has a life in the clover (and ladies ;) ) ahead of him. ;D

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 09:30:42 pm »
Too late to post first but 2nd Grey Katmogets lamb and a handsome wee chap - I really hope you and your sheep have glld months ahead you certainly deserve them  :hug:
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Fowlman

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 12:23:47 am »
Goes to show what a hardy breed the shetlands are. We had three ewe lambs and two ram lambs this year.
Tucked away on the downs in wiltshire.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS