Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig bump?  (Read 1571 times)

Highlandrose

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Strathnairn
Pig bump?
« on: April 21, 2014, 07:35:54 pm »
Having recently gotten some weaners, one has got a bump on the top of its snout. It was noticed last week and since then it seems to have grown in size (now a bit bigger than a malteaser), appears softish when you touch it and the pig doesn't seem to mind. I can't find anything in the books regarding cysts on pigs, has anyone else come across this on pigs?

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
Re: Pig bump?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 10:33:47 pm »
Difficult one to guess at. They get lumps and bumps of all kinds, just as we do. Could be any number of things, including a cyst or an abscess. I'd just keep an eye on it at this stage. It may burst of its own accord, or when caught on or rubbed against something. If it gets much bigger, I'd call your vet, who will probably stick a needle in it and withdraw to see what it contains. There are things you could yourself, but unless you're very confident or experienced with pigs, I'd leave it to the vet.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Highlandrose

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 06:50:33 pm »
Thanks for your help, it seems to have disappeared over the past couple of days. Am just keeping an eye out to see if it comes back as I noticed he had caught the spot on something over the weekend and had a bit of blood coming from it.

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 11:53:07 pm »
If you can get him to stay still you could smear a bit of sudocreme on it - works wonders on pigs (they have very similar skin to us humans)  :thumbsup:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 09:41:35 am »
Just to say big fan of Sudocrem here too :thumbsup: , its a great cure all for pig skin ailments from sunburn to grazes.
Mandy :pig:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 06:44:26 pm »
Yes our pigs used to fight a lot when they were younger, I think it could be where the pigs have bit each other.
You could check to see if they have been bitten by a fly, but I think it may be that the pig is fighting with other pigs.
Hope this helps
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS