Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Do pig shelters need fronts....  (Read 2363 times)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Do pig shelters need fronts....
« on: April 21, 2014, 02:42:12 pm »
Just had wonderful friends restore and re roof this old pigs sty this weekend, going to be used for summer-autumns weaners , it is built into the ground at the back and the prevailing winds are always one side or other (never to the front)..... Will it be ok without a front? Thought I'd put a couple of straw bales if needed, but hopeing this will be ok. We built a straw ale house for our last lot and they were snug as bugs.  Going to have a little sleep in this myself before they come! Feels cosy.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 09:26:25 pm by FiB »

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Do pig shelters need fronts....
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 03:33:36 pm »
This is from the expert (had 2 lots of weaners  ;D ), so long as the wind doesn't come direct from the front then I am sure they will be ok. Our pig ark doesn't have any front on it but its facing away from the wind.
The opening on yours is quite big though so perhaps a couple of bales would be a good idea.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 05:43:10 pm »
should be fine if it is away from prevailing wind.

In fact many people make arks too cosy, you want the warm and moist air that rises from your pigs to get carried away, so having air circulation at the top (usually a hole or two in the back of the pig ark) is a really good idea.

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 05:52:46 pm »
My ark is sited into the direction from which the wind least often comes.  When the wind does occasionally blow in (it's pretty windy here), Meg uses her bedding to make an inner wall to shelter behind.   So I'd say that as long as they have plenty of straw so they can bury themselves if they want, they will be fine.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 06:21:37 pm »
 :excited: brill thanks all.  I was so excited when we finished, I wanted to sleep in it, but knew I needed to reighn myself in and check with the bods who know!  The wind only ever funnels e/w or w/e and entrance is south facing. its boggy land so should be a natural wallow at bottom and just been reading the threads about the bracken so will clear all last years for their first bedding and keep on top of it as they expose rhizomes... this forum I s BRILLIANT. they will hav plenty of straw. just need to get to the top of the fencers list now :innocent:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 09:28:45 pm by FiB »

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 10:17:31 pm »
Never mind pig shelter, you could let that out for holidays, it's beautiful!

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 10:37:54 pm »
It looks lovely. Very envious.
How deep is it? If fairly shallow, I'd be tempted to give the entrance a bit of extra shelter using a few bales of straw. Good luck - will these be your first pigs?
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS