Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sorry, I'm worried and inexperienced...  (Read 1932 times)

Little Landy Lover

• Joined Apr 2014
Sorry, I'm worried and inexperienced...
« on: April 20, 2014, 11:26:17 pm »
Hello again...
Right, Ewes nearing/ on due date. When I've been out at night to check on them at least 3-5 of them are breathing heavily and stopping (breathe in. stop. breathe out then in rapidly) and have been doing this for a few nights but don't when the sun is showing any light. Are they simply imminent and not wanting to lamb due to the rotten weather? This is my first year checking on the ewes, I've only ever been delivering and documenting, never seen them in the days before. can anyone shed any light or am I being styuppid?
Cheers

Arch

Sheep have two missions in life; escape and die. If they can do both at the same time they're happy!

Little Landy Lover

• Joined Apr 2014
Re: Sorry, I'm worried and inexperienced...
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 12:02:54 am »
2 Cotswolds, 2 clleyns (1 already lambed), 2 Lambuenogs (Spelling for both?) a Jacob and Jeffex (no one knows, many different breeds in her...)
I'm was just wondering if its something else, a few of them have bubbly guts and occasional farting which seams to be related to the breathing. forgot to mention that  :huff:
Sheep have two missions in life; escape and die. If they can do both at the same time they're happy!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 12:11:55 am »
If ruminants aren't burping and farting then something is wrong - it's how their digestion works!  They should burp roughly once or twice a minute.

What you are seeing is your ewes bringing up a cud to chew.  Perfectly normal.  If you watch, after the holding their breath looking a bit otherwhere, when they start breathing again they will also be chewing.  That tells you 1. that they are content, 2. that they have enough to eat and 3. that they are not going to lamb anytime soon.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 07:15:50 am »
Sallys description is spot on. I too have spent my time watching my sheeps breathing  ::) . Rapid shallow breathing is more indicative of a potential lambing although not to be mistaken for  just being hot  ;D .
Even so this change can be noticed anything up to 24 hours before the actual birth, so probably best to have a cuppa put your feet up and check back later. There will be other more definative signs that are considerably more reliable. 

Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Little Landy Lover

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 08:19:37 pm »
Well two of the ones that weren't breathing as such have lambed today, 1 had triplets which are all ok, the other had twins which are suckling but aren't getting enough milk so I'm keeping them topped from a bottle!
I'm now 1/3 of the way through my lambing!!

Cheers

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS